Skip to main content

performance tuning - How to speed up the plotting of B-spline curve?


Three months ago, I asked a quesion about B-Spline basis function here, Today, I used this function to plot B-spline curve.


The definition of $N_{i,p}$


  NBSpline[i_Integer, 0, knots_?(VectorQ[#, NumericQ] && OrderedQ[#] &),u_] /;
i <= Length[knots] - 2 :=
Piecewise[
{{1, knots[[i + 1]] <= u < knots[[i + 2]]},
{0, u < knots[[i + 1]] || u >= knots[[i + 2]]}}]


coeff[u_, i_, j_, knots_] /; knots[[i]] == knots[[j]] := 0;
coeff[u_, i_, j_, knots_] := (u - knots[[i]])/(knots[[j]] - knots[[i]])

NBSpline[i_Integer, p_Integer, knots_?(VectorQ[#, NumericQ] && OrderedQ[#] &),
u_] /;p > 0 && i + p <= Length[knots] - 2 :=
Module[{init, res},
init = Table[NBSpline[j, 0, knots, u], {j, i, i + p}];
res = First@
Nest[

Dot @@@
(Thread@
{Partition[#, 2, 1],
With[{m = p + 2 - Length@#},
Table[
{coeff[u, k + 1, k + m + 1, knots],
coeff[u, k + m + 2, k + 2, knots]}, {k, i, i + Length@# - 2}]]}) &,
init, p]
]




The definition of B-Spline curve


$$\overset{\rightharpoonup }{C}(u)=\sum _{i=0}^n N_{i,p}(u) \overset{\rightharpoonup }{P}_i \text{ }\qquad (a\leq u\leq b)$$


where, $P_i$ is the control point, the $N_ {i, p} (u)$ are the pth - degree Bspline basis functions defined on the nonperiodic (and nonuniform) knot vector


knots= $\{\underbrace {a,\cdots ,a}_{p+1},u_{p+1},\cdots u_{m-p-1},\underbrace {b,\cdots,b}_{p+1}\}$




Trail 1


(Update) with george2079's solution


 BSplinePlot1[pts : {{_, _} ..}, knots_, opts : OptionsPattern[Plot]] :=
Module[{p = Length@First@Split[knots] - 1, a, b},

{a, b} = {First[knots], Last[knots]};
ParametricPlot[
Evaluate@
Simplify@
Total@
MapIndexed[
NBSpline[First@#2 - 1, p, knots, u] #1 &, pts], {u, a, b}, opts
]
]


Test1


 pts3 = {{1, 6}, {2, 8}, {3, 6}, {4, 12}, {7, 11}, {9, 3}, {12, 7}, {14, 5}, {15, 8}, {17, 8}};
knots3= {0, 0, 0, 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, 4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 1, 1, 1};

BSplinePlot1[pts3, knots3, ImageSize -> 600]


enter image description here



 Graphics[{BSplineCurve[pts, SplineKnots -> knots], Green, Line[pts], 

Red, Point[pts]}] // AbsoluteTiming


enter image description here





Update




  • Is there any method to speed up the calculation of NBSPline?



    See george2079's solution and my answer




  • How to deal with the problem of discontinuity shown in the first graph?


    Add the option PlotPoints





Answer



The plot is sped up substantially if you use Evaluate:


  ParametricPlot[

Evaluate[ Total@MapIndexed[NBSpline[First@#2 - 1, p, knots, u] #1 &, pts]] ,
{u, a, b}, opts]

(I only looked a trial 1 , but I think your other try have the same issue )


It helps a little more if you remove the Simplify from NBSpline and simplify the whole thing:


 ParametricPlot[
Evaluate[Total@
MapIndexed[NBSpline[First@#2 - 1, p, knots, u] #1 &, pts] //
Simplify], {u, a, b}, opts]


Your original form is a sum of piecewise expressions. The outer Simplify condenses the whole thing into a single piecewise.


The gaps seem to relate the nature of the discontinuity in derivatives of the bspline w/ respect to its parameter at the knots, which evidently fools Parametric Plot into thinking there is an actual discontinuity.


The gaps close with PlotPoints -> 1000 , though if you look at the graphics produced you'll see you still have separate Lines for each portion. I don't think there is anything to do about that except not use ParametricPlot.


You might try doing away with ParametricPlot and doing Graphics@Line@Table .., which may speed it up as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...