Skip to main content

coding style - Placement of Condition /; expressions


It is my practice to place Condition expressions on the left side of := and :> in almost every case.




  1. I find this to be more logical as it is part of the pattern


    With the exception of use inside Module, Block, or With on the RHS, which is a special case, the Condition depends only on the LHS, and therefore IMHO is more logically placed on the LHS





  2. Its behavior remains consistent when used with = and ->



    • f[x_] /; x < 5 := 1 and g[x_] /; x < 5 = 1 behave similarly

    • f[x_] := 1 /; x < 5 and g[x_] = 1 /; x < 5 behave differently




  3. The evaluation path is significantly less complicated


    Placing the condition on the RHS requires the internal use of RuleCondition and $ConditionHold which can significantly slow down simple functions.


    Clear[f, g]


    f[x_] /; OddQ[x] := 1
    f[x_] := 0;

    g[x_] := 1 /; OddQ[x]
    g[x_] := 0;

    f[4] //Trace



    {f[4], {OddQ[4], False}, 0}

    g[4] //Trace


    {g[4],{{OddQ[4],False},RuleCondition[$ConditionHold[$ConditionHold[1]],False],Fail},0}

    a = Range@1*^6;

    Timing[f /@ a;]

    Timing[g /@ a;]


    {0.421, Null}
    {0.655, Null}



Nevertheless, the documentation for Condition shows the RHS form and many experienced users also seem to favor this form.


Mathematica graphics



Which form should be standard, and why?




A brief edit: The form f[x_ /; x < 5] := 1 is what I use most often as should be clear to those who read my answers on StackOverflow. I omitted this form specifically because I didn't want to spawn a discussion (bad for SE sites) about purely-stylistic differences. I see now that this may have had the opposite effect. Rather I wish to focus this question on the apparently canonical yet IMHO inferior RHS placement and what its merits are.



Answer



I prefer the Condition to appear on the left-hand-side and outside the square brackets for several reasons.


Type signature


I often think of the condition as (part of) the analog of the signature in a typed language, so it should go on the left hand side.


Order of operations


I like that the elements of the function definition appear in the order in which I want them to happen:


f[x_] /; x > 0 := Sqrt[x]



  1. Look for f[x_].

  2. Check that x > 0.

  3. Return Sqrt[x].

  4. (Optional) Check any postcondition (see below).


Function contract


When an argument-checking definition of the form


f[else___] := Throw["Error in f."]


appears, a left-hand-side Condition often plays the role of a precondition in the sense of Design By Contract. A Condition can also appear on the right-hand-side and this plays the role of a postcondition:


f[x_] /; x > 0 := Sqrt[x] /; Sqrt[x] > 0

Consistency of appearance


I prefer f[x_] /; x > 0 to the alternative f[x_ /; x > 0] for consistency, because sometimes placing the Condition inside the square brackets is not possible, such as when the Condition depends on multiple arguments:


f[x_, y_] /; x > y := 1/(x - y)

Update: Rationale


I think Brett's preference of putting the Condition as close as possible to the quantity to which it applies is equally good so I want to explain why I ended up with my slightly different preference.



Basically I was writing a sequence of definitions like this, following Brett's guideline:


f[x_ /; c1[x], y_] := this
f[x_, y_ /; c2[y]] := that
f[x_, y_] /; c3[x, y] := other

Note that all of these define f[x, y]. So there are two things I didn't like about that:



  1. The key difference between each LHS is the different conditions on x and y, and these are difficult to read quickly here because they all start at different places and are mixed in with f[x_, y_].

  2. When a condition needs to change such that it suddenly starts or stops depending on x or y, I need to move it from inside the square brackets to outside or vice versa.



Now compare:


f[x_, y_] /; c1[x] := this
f[x_, y_] /; c2[y] := that
f[x_, y_] /; c3[x, y] := other

Of course, what would make even more sense would be to adhere to Brett's guideline except in special cases like above! Maybe I will try that now ...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...