Skip to main content

front end - How to get full-screen graphics canvas?


Is it possible to create a full-screen graphics without any front end elements like cell brackets and scrollbars? The zero approximation can be


{{{z, w}, {z, h}}} = FullScreenArea /. (ScreenInformation /. 
Options[$FrontEnd, ScreenInformation]);
CreateDocument[
Graphics[{EdgeForm[Green], Rectangle[{0, 0}, {w, h} - 1], Red,
AbsolutePointSize[1], Point[{100, 100}]},

PlotRange -> {{0, w - 1}, {0, h - 1}}, ImageSize -> {w, h}],
WindowSize -> Full];

As a result I expect a black screen with green border of one pixel width and one red pixel. I guess some options are missing to do the job, but there are quite many places one could try to put them to, so I expect someone more familiar with this functionality will respond.



Answer



It seems to me that you would want some sort of flexibility with this. Just setting the window size to full may not be the best solution. If I was doing it I would prefer to be making a notebook with the graphics filling the entire notebook and then toggling full screen with your graphics size to changing accordingly. To do this you need to make the image size dynamic.


CreateDocument[
Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 3 Pi},
ImageSize ->
Dynamic@AbsoluteCurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], WindowSize]],

CellMargins -> 0,
"BlinkingCellInsertionPoint" -> False,
"CellInsertionPointCell" -> {},
Saveable -> True,
ShowCellBracket -> False,
ShowCellLabel -> False,
"TrackCellChangeTimes" -> False,
StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb",
WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ZoomBox", "MinimizeBox"},
WindowElements -> {},

WindowFrame -> "Normal",
WindowSize -> All,
WindowMargins -> Automatic,
WindowTitle -> ""];

This is a variation of something I currently use. What happens is that initially your window opens and you control whether it goes full screen via keystrokes. On my system this means Control-Command-F (see screen grab below). When you toggle full screen the graphic expands to fit the screen. Toggle back and it shrinks to its original size. I set WindowSize->All initially but you may prefer to give the window a value e.g. {600,600}. I have used a plot to illustrate the resizing. You should set your AspectRatio to be the same as your full screen otherwise the graphic won't fit to your full screen properly. My screen aspect ratio is 5/8 so:


CreateDocument[
Graphics[{EdgeForm[Green], Rectangle[]},
AspectRatio -> 5/8,
ImageSize ->

Dynamic@AbsoluteCurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], WindowSize]],
CellMargins -> 0,
"BlinkingCellInsertionPoint" -> False,
"CellInsertionPointCell" -> {},
Saveable -> True,
ShowCellBracket -> False,
ShowCellLabel -> False,
"TrackCellChangeTimes" -> False,
StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb",
WindowFrameElements -> {"CloseBox", "ZoomBox", "MinimizeBox"},

WindowElements -> {},
WindowFrame -> "Normal",
WindowSize -> {640, 400},
WindowMargins -> Automatic,
WindowTitle -> ""];

Alternatively you could make the aspect ratio dynamic as well. Note that you will see white around the graphic. To remove this set PlotRangePadding->0. The grab below shows the notebook prior to going full screen.


enter image description here


In the screen grab I used Red, AbsolutePointSize[1], Point[Scaled[{0.5, 0.5}]]. If you want to have the point position in pixel units and plot range in pixels then you would need to make some adjustments -- if you want to go down that path I will adjust the code. Personally I think using Scaled is better for managing this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...