Skip to main content

dynamic - Manipulating a continuous stream of sounds



I need some audio-feedback when a locator is moved on a surface. I have the following code that produces a beep every time the dynamic controller is interacted with such that the pitch of the sound correlates with the z-value of the underlying surface of the LocatorPane. The problem is that when the locator is moved, it does not provide a continuous soundstream, rather jerky, disconnected notes. If I increase the length of each sound primitive then they overlap, and cause severe lags.


pt = {0, 0}; (* initialize locator *)

func = Sin[\[Pi]*2*#1*#2] &; (* arbitrary surface *)

sound[{x_, y_}] :=
Sound[SampledSoundFunction[
Sin[0.15/(Rescale[func[x, y], {-1, 1}, {1, 0}] + 1) #] &, 4000,
20000], .1];


LocatorPane[
Dynamic[pt, (pt = Clip@#; EmitSound@sound@pt) &],
ContourPlot[func[x, y], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}, ImageSize -> 200]
]

Mathematica graphics



Answer



The key to getting separate sounds to join smoothly is to make the waveform continuous. For example this sound contains an integer number of cycles, and we can emit a sequence of these with no audible gaps:


testsound=Sound[SampledSoundFunction[Sin[0.4Pi #]&,1000,8000]];
Do[EmitSound[testsound],{5}]


Contrast with this next one, where I have adjusted the frequency slightly:


testsound=Sound[SampledSoundFunction[Sin[0.401Pi #]&,1000,8000]];
Do[EmitSound[testsound],{5}]

There is also a timing problem to be dealt with. As noted in the question, if the sounds are too short there will be gaps between them. If the sounds are too long they will queue up and lag behind the Locator motion. The update rate of the Locator position is not uniform, so we can't simply pick a single "perfect" duration for the sounds. We could use "Preemptive" as a second argument to EmitSound to force the sound to play right now, but this will scupper the attempt to make the waveform continuous.


My approach is to measure the time between updates to the Locator position, and use this as the duration of the sound to play. The idea is that this should keep the time elapsed moving the Locator roughly in step with the cumulative duration of sounds played. The sound duration is however clipped to prevent any overly long or short sounds.


So here is my attempt at the problem. I have defined these functions:


soundfunc takes a frequency and a number of samples, and returns a Sound with the frequency tweaked to ensure an integer number of cycles over the duration of the sound.


killsound immediately stops any currently playing sound. This is used to stop sound output sharply when the Locator is released.



valtofreq simply converts a function value in the range -1 to +1 to a frequency.


soundfunc[f_,n_]:=Sound[SampledSoundFunction[Sin[2Pi  Round[f,8000/n]#/8000.]&,n,8000]]
killsound := EmitSound[SampledSoundList[{0.}, 8000], "Preemptive"]
valtofreq[val_] := 500 (1.3 + val)

pt = {0, 0};(*initialize locator*)
func = Sin[Pi*2*#1*#2] &;(*arbitrary surface*)

LocatorPane[Dynamic[pt,{
(t2=t1=AbsoluteTime[];f=valtofreq[func@@#])&,

(pt=Clip@#;f=valtofreq[func@@#];
t2=AbsoluteTime[];deltat=t2-t1;t1=t2;
EmitSound[soundfunc[f,Round[8000Clip[deltat,{0.001,0.2}]]]];)&,
(killsound)&}],
ContourPlot[func[x,y],{x,-1,1},{y,-1,1},ImageSize->200]]

It's not perfect, but it works reasonably well if the Locator is moved slowly. There is still a definite sense of separate notes strung together, rather than the continuously varying pitch the question asks for. It should be possible to make it smoother by varying the frequency gradually from the beginning to the end of each Sound, but it wasn't immediately obvious to me how to do that while maintaining the waveform continuity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...