Skip to main content

front end - Creating a simple Dock Cell that Fades In when Cursor Hover Over It


I like to create dock cells, that enhance the look of my notebooks. Do you know of a simple way to get the functionality in iBooks shown below in the video. I want the dock cell in Mathematica to "fade" into view when my cursor hover over it and "fade" out when it's not hovering over it.


enter image description here



Edit 1: Thank you Karsten. This is exactly what I was looking for. Below is a gif implementing a version of your code.


enter image description here



Answer



Edit: Fading overlay window


In order to get a top dock element with real transparency, one can create a window that overlays the current notebook window and adjusts its position together with it.


With[{nb = EvaluationNotebook[]},
DynamicModule[{wm, ws},
CreateWindow[
PaletteNotebook[
{DynamicWrapper[TextCell["Click OK to close", Orange],

ws = {CurrentValue[nb, WindowSize][[1]] - 15, 100};
wm = AbsoluteCurrentValue[nb, WindowMargins] + {{7, 0}, {70, 50}},
Initialization :> (wm =
AbsoluteCurrentValue[nb, WindowMargins] + {{7, 0}, {70, 50}};
ws = {CurrentValue[nb, WindowSize][[1]] - 15, 100})],
DefaultButton[]}
, WindowMargins -> Dynamic[Setting@wm], WindowSize -> Dynamic[Setting@ws]
, TextAlignment -> Center]
, Background -> Blue
, WindowOpacity ->

Dynamic[1/
100 (150 -
Replace[MousePosition["WindowAbsolute", {0, 1}], None -> {0, 150}][[2]])]
, WindowFloating -> True, WindowElements -> {}, WindowFrame -> "Frameless"
, WindowFrameElements -> {}]
]];

TopDock




One can use PaneSelector to create a fading effect.



CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], DockedCells] =
Cell[BoxData@ToBoxes@PaneSelector[{
False ->
Panel["", ImageSize -> {Full, Automatic}, Appearance -> "Frameless"],
True -> Panel["Hi", ImageSize -> {Full, Automatic}, Alignment -> Center]
},
Dynamic@CurrentValue["MouseOver"]
, ImageSize -> All
, ImageMargins -> 0, FrameMargins -> None
, TransitionEffect -> "Fade", TransitionDirection -> Bottom, TransitionDuration -> 0.75

]
, CellFrameMargins -> {{0, 0}, {0, 0}}]

DC1


The size of the DockedCells can be reduces, when the mouse isn't hovering over it:


CurrentValue[EvaluationNotebook[], DockedCells] =
Cell[BoxData@ToBoxes@PaneSelector[{
False -> Panel["", ImageSize -> {Full, 0}, Appearance -> "Frameless"],
True -> Panel["Hi", ImageSize -> {Full, 100}, Alignment -> Center]
},

Dynamic@CurrentValue["MouseOver"]
, ImageSize -> Automatic
, ImageMargins -> 0, FrameMargins -> None
, TransitionEffect -> "Fade", TransitionDirection -> Bottom, TransitionDuration -> 0.75
]]

DC2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?