Skip to main content

How to organize expression by symbols (like Collect), but apply different functions to each coefficient


I want to mimic the functionality of Collect[expr, {vars}, func], but with the following modification: The function f that is applied to each coefficient is different, and depends on which variable it is a coefficient of. The vars are expressions of predetermined known heads (which in the example below are _e, _f, _g, _h).


Example:


expr = -2 x e[x] + x e[y] + x^2 e[x] + y e[x] + y e[y] + x^2 f[x] + y^2 f[x] + x^2 g[x] + y^2 h[x]




  1. I need to collect expr by e[_], f[_], g[_] and h[_].




  2. Apply simpE to the coefficients of e[_], and simpF to the coefficients of f[_], and simpGen to the coefficient of everything else.




  3. This needs to work even when certain terms are absent from expr. e.g. if expr doesn't have any e[_] etc.





My idea (which doesn't work) is to do this in two steps:




  1. First collect the expression:


    Collect[expr, {_f, _e, _g, _h}]


  2. Then replace with the rule that makes the transformation on each coefficient.


    rule = (Plus[
    Optional[Times[exprE_., funcE_e]],

    Optional[Times[exprF_., funcF_f]],
    rest_.]) :>
    (simpE[exprE] funcE + simpF[exprF] funcF + Collect[rest,{_g, _h}, simpRest])


The (not quite correct) result is:


Collect[expr, {_f, _e, _g, _h}] /. rule


e[x] simpE[-2 x + x^2 + y] + f[x] simpF[x^2 + y^2] + g[x] simpRest[x^2] + h[x] simpRest[y^2] + simpRest[(x + y) e[y]]




But this doesn't work because




  1. the rule groups e[y] with the rest of the terms and incorrectly applies simpRest to it (see last term of output), instead of simpE[x+y] e[y].




  2. If certain terms are absent, then the rule doesn't even match. Consider expr2 below which is absent of f[_]:


    expr2 = -2 x e[x] + x^2 e[x] + y e[x] + x e[y] + y e[y] + x^2 g[x] + y^2 h[x] 


    The rule doesn't match:


    Collect[expr, {_f, _e, _g, _h}] /. rule


    (-2 x + x^2 + y) e[x] + (x + y) e[y] + x^2 g[x] + y^2 h[x]





I need help with this particular modification of Collect. Is there a sexy way to get this done?



Answer




Maybe the following. Simplifying a left-over constant term along with the other coefficients seems hard to comprise in a single, simple function.


forms = {_f, _e, _g, _h};
funcs = {simpF, simpE, simpG, simpH};
simpConstant[c_] := simpC[c];
Times[c_simpAll, form_] ^:= (c /. simpAll -> (form /. Thread[forms -> funcs])) form;

Collect[2 + expr, {_f, _e, _g, _h}, simpAll] /. simpAll -> simpConstant
Collect[2 + expr2, {_f, _e, _g, _h}, simpAll] /. simpAll -> simpConstant
Collect[2 + x, {_f, _e, _g, _h}, simpAll] /. simpAll -> simpConstant
(*

simpC[2] + e[y] simpE[x + y] + e[x] simpE[-2 x + x^2 + y] +
f[x] simpF[x^2 + y^2] + g[x] simpG[x^2] + h[x] simpH[y^2]

simpC[2] + e[y] simpE[x + y] + e[x] simpE[-2 x + x^2 + y] +
g[x] simpG[x^2] + h[x] simpH[y^2]

simpC[2 + x]
*)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...