Skip to main content

color - How to access new colour schemes in version 10?



Many colour schemes and colour functions can be accessed using ColorData.


Version 10 introduced new default colour schemes, and a new customization option using PlotTheme. The colour themes accessible with PlotTheme have both discrete colour schemes and gradients.


Is there a standard way to access these? I.e. get a colour function that take a real argument in $[0,1]$ and returns a shade, or one that takes an integer argument and returns a colour, as with ColorData.



Answer



Update 2: The content and organization of $PlotThemes in versions 10 and 9 are very different. In Version 10


 Charting`$PlotThemes

gives


enter image description here


whereas in Version 9, the content is organized around Charting/Plotting functions (See the picture in original post below.)



The color schemes can be obtained using:


 "Color"/. Charting`$PlotThemes
(* BackgroundColor, BlackBackground, BoldColor, ClassicColor, CoolColor,
DarkColor,GrayColor, NeonColor,PastelColor, RoyalColor, VibrantColor, WarmColor,
DefaultColor, EarthColor, GarnetColor, OpalColor, SapphireColor, SteelColor,
SunriseColor, TextbookColor, WaterColor} *)

Grid[{#,Row@(("DefaultPlotStyle"/.(Method/.
Charting`ResolvePlotTheme[#, ListPlot]))/.
Directive[x_,__]:>x)}&/@("Color"/. Charting`$PlotThemes),Dividers->All]


enter image description here


Update: The function that defines the color schemes and styles seems to be ResolvePlotTheme, which is in the Charting context in both Version 9 and 10.


?Charting`ResolvePlotTheme
(* too long to copy here ... *)

For example,


Charting`ResolvePlotTheme["Vibrant", ContourPlot]
(* {BaseStyle -> GrayLevel[0.5], BoundaryStyle -> None,
ColorFunction -> (Blend[{Hue[0.5, 1, 0.5], Hue[0.35, 0.5, 0.7],

Hue[0.17, 0.7, 0.9]}, #1] &), ContourStyle -> GrayLevel[1, 0.5],
GridLines -> Automatic,
GridLinesStyle -> Directive[GrayLevel[0.5], Dashing[{0, Small}]],
Method -> {"GridLinesInFront" -> True}} *)

So, one can access the color functions used in these themes using something like;


 Grid[{#, ColorFunction /. Charting`ResolvePlotTheme[#, ContourPlot]} & /@
("ContourPlot" /. Charting`$PlotThemes), Dividers -> All]

enter image description here



More generally, one can get the settings for ColorFunction, ChartStyle, PlotStyle BaseStyle etc. using a similar approach:


Grid[{#, Column@FilterRules[Charting`ResolvePlotTheme[#, PieChart], 
{ColorFunction, ChartStyle, BaseStyle}]} & /@
("PieChart" /. Charting`$PlotThemes), Dividers -> All]

enter image description here




PlotTheme seems to work in Version 9.0.1.0 as an undocumented feature:


?*`*PlotTheme*


enter image description here


After Unprotect and ClearAttributes[--,ReadProtected] one can access some details. For example:


?Charting`$PlotThemes

enter image description here


And, despite syntax hightlighting suggesting error, they work as expected:


Row[Plot[Table[BesselJ[n, x], {n, 5}], {x, 0, 10}, Evaluated -> True, 
ImageSize -> 400, PlotLabel -> Style[#, 20],
Charting`PlotTheme -> #] & /@ {"Vibrant", "Monochrome"}]


enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...