Skip to main content

How can I plot a layered graph on a three-dimensional plane


Given a LayeredGraph:



LayeredGraphPlot[{1 -> 3, 3 -> 1, 1 -> 5, 3 -> 6, 1 -> 6, 2 -> 4, 
2 -> 6, 3 -> 4, 3 -> 5, 3 -> 6, 4 -> 6, 5 -> 6},
VertexLabeling -> True];

enter image description here


I like to present it on a three-layer surface:


enter image description here


Such that vertices {3,1,2} be placed on the top layer; {5,4} on the middle layer; and {6} on the bottom layer. Directed arrows from the top layer towards bottom should be Blue and from the bottom towards the top be Gray.



Answer



edges = {1 -> 5, 1 -> 6, 1 -> 3, 5 -> 2, 5 -> 4, 6 -> 7, 2 -> 6, 2 -> 3, 3 -> 4, 7 -> 4};


vertices = {4, 3, 7, 1, 2, 6, 5};

layers = {1, 2, 4};

vcoords = Thread[vertices ->
Join @@ MapThread[Join[##, 2] &,
{MapIndexed[CirclePoints[#2[[1]]/4, #] &, layers] /. {{a_?NumericQ, _}} :> {{0, 0}},
MapIndexed[ConstantArray[#2 - 1, #] &, layers]}]];


Graph3D[edges,
VertexCoordinates -> vcoords, VertexLabels -> "Name", ImageSize -> Medium]

enter image description here


Show[Graphics3D[{Opacity[.4], EdgeForm[Thin], Lighting -> "Neutral", 
LightBlue, InfinitePlane[{0, 0, #}, {{1, 0, 0}, {1, 1, 0}}] & /@
Range[0, 2]}, Boxed -> False],
Graph3D[edges, VertexCoordinates -> vcoords, VertexLabels -> "Name",
ImageSize -> Medium],
PlotRange -> All, PlotRangePadding -> Scaled[.2]]


enter image description here


Alternatively, use FaceGrids to indicate the planes:


facegrids = {#, {{}, {0, 1, 2}}} & /@ Join[#, -#] & @ Most[IdentityMatrix[3]];

Graph3D[edges, VertexCoordinates -> vcoords, VertexLabels -> "Name",
ImageSize -> Medium,
FaceGrids -> facegrids,
PlotRangePadding -> Scaled[.2]]


enter image description here


Update: Styling edges:


Graph3D[edges, VertexCoordinates -> vcoords, VertexLabels -> "Name", 
VertexSize -> Medium, BaseStyle -> Arrowheads[Large],
EdgeShapeFunction -> (Arrow @ Tube[#, .03] &),
EdgeStyle -> MapIndexed[# -> ColorData[97][#2[[1]]] &, edges],
ImageSize -> Medium, FaceGrids -> facegrids,
PlotRangePadding -> Scaled[.2]]

enter image description here



Graph3D[edges, VertexCoordinates -> vcoords, 
VertexLabels -> Placed["Name", Center], ImageSize -> Medium,
FaceGrids -> facegrids, PlotRangePadding -> Scaled[.2],
VertexSize -> Medium, EdgeStyle -> Black,
EdgeShapeFunction -> ({Arrowheads[Large, Appearance -> "Projected"], Thick,
Arrow[BezierCurve[{#[[1]], {#[[1, 1]], #[[1, 2]], #[[-1, 3]]}, #[[-1]]}], .1]}&),
Properties -> {(5 \[DirectedEdge] _) -> {EdgeStyle -> Directive[Dashed, Red]}}]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...