Skip to main content

syntax - Different behaviours of Default Argument


I don't really understand the behaviour of Default Argument. If I execute this command in Mathematica:


In: {f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[x_ + y_.] -> p[x, y]  



Out: {p[a, 0], p[b, a]}



Why is the a and b swapped?


How can I explain the different behaviour of the above compared with the each of the following:


In: {f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[x_ + y_] -> p[x, y]  


Out: {f[a], p[a, b]}




In: {f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[x_. + y_] -> p[x, y]  


Out: {p[0, a], p[a, b]}



In: {f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[x_. + y_.] -> p[x, y]  


Out: {p[a, 0], p[a, b]}




And similarly for:


In: {f[a], f[a b]} /. f[x_ y_.] -> p[x, y]  


Out: {p[a, 1], p[b, a]}



In: {f[a], f[a b]} /. f[x_  y_] -> p[x, y]


Out: {f[a], p[a, b]}




In: {f[a], f[a b]} /. f[x_. y_] -> p[x, y]


Out: {p[1, a], p[a, b]}



In: {f[a], f[a b]} /. f[x_. y_.] -> p[x, y]


Out: {p[a, 1], p[a, b]}




From Mathematica help, what I understand is that Mathematica will return the default value if the argument of _. is not inputted. But I still cannot make the above statements any sense. Besides the obvious observable output such as reordering, I don't really understand the logic behind _. How does it relate to sum and multiplication? When will _. be useful in other than this situation?


Thanks.



Answer



Good question. I see this was largely answered in the comments yesterday, but since no one posted a formal answer I shall.


Cases 2, 3, and 4 appear relatively straightforward. (Incidentally you should be using :>, RuleDelayed here, rather than ->, to localize the pattern names x and y.) The first case that swaps positions needs a closer look however. First, observe this case:


{f[c], f[c + b]} /. f[x_. + y_.] :> p[x, y]


{p[c, 0], p[b, c]}


This is because the LHS of /. is evaluated before matching, and f[c + b] evaluates to f[b + c]. This is because of the Orderless attribute of Plus.


Considering the first case, the RHS of /. is also evaluated, and again reordering (sorting) takes place:


Trace[
{f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[x_ + y_.] :> p[x, y]
] // Column


{{{x_ + y_., y_. + x_}, f[y_. + x_]}, f[y_. + x_] :> p[x, y], f[y_. + x_] :> p[x, y]}
{f[a], f[a + b]} /. f[y_. + x_] :> p[x, y]

{p[a, 0], p[b, a]}

Here f[x_ + y_.] evaluates to f[y_. + x_]. You need to prevent the evaluation of Plus if you do not want this ordering to take place. On the left side this can be done with Unevaluated:


Unevaluated[{f[c], f[c + b]}] /. f[x_. + y_.] :> p[x, y]


{p[c, 0], p[c, b]}

It is however ineffective on the right side:


{f[a], f[a + b]} /. Unevaluated[f[x_ + y_.] :> p[x, y]]



{p[a, 0], p[b, a]}

Surprisingly, so is HoldPattern:


{f[a], f[a + b]} /. HoldPattern[f[x_ + y_.]] :> p[x, y]


{p[a, 0], p[b, a]}


I don't know why. Perhaps there is an evaluation leak within ReplaceAll that causes this to evaluate anyway, or more likely I am forgetting something about the interaction of pattern matching and the Orderless attribute.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...