Skip to main content

graphics - How to build a game board



I have - rather lazily - constructed a chessboard like this:


board :=
With[
{
a = Flatten @ Table[{1, 1, 0, 0}, {4}],

b = Flatten @ Table[{0, 0, 1, 1}, {4}]
},
{a, a, b, b, a, a, b, b, a, a, b, b, a, a, b, b}
]

board // MatrixForm

enter image description here


letters = 
Transpose[{Range@15, Style[#, Bold, 16] & /@

{"a", "", "b", "", "c", "", "d", "", "e", "", "f", "", "g", "", "h"}, Table[{0, 0}, {15}]}];

numbers =
Transpose[{Range@15, Style[#, Bold, 16] & /@
{"8", "", "7", "", "6", "", "5", "", "4", "", "3", "", "2", "", "1"}, Table[{0, 0}, {15}]}];

MatrixPlot[
board,
ColorFunction -> "Monochrome",
ImageSize -> 400,

Mesh -> {{0, 16}, {0, 16}},
PlotLabel -> Style["Chessboard\n", 16, Bold],
FrameTicks -> {{False , numbers}, {letters , False}}]

enter image description here


(a) How could "board" be written in a functional style?


(b) How could such a functional solution be extended to include other boards (like a 10*10 draughtsboard or an odd 11*11 board)?


Clarification


In Mathematica it's not always easy to distinguish functional and "other" styles of programming because the language incorporates many imperative constructs such as Do, Table, Array etc. For the purposes of this question, reliance of such imperative constructs should be avoided to make the answer correspond to a more functional programming paradigm, and thereby to distinguish it from the closely related question How to make a resizable chess board?.


A particular feature of the functional approach is that loops are replaced by recursions.




Answer



At least internally, the following is a nice recursive way of thinking about the chess board:


MatrixPlot[CellularAutomaton[250, {0, 1}, {7, 7}]]

board


Not sure if this is what was meant by functional style. It's hard to make a one-liner functional.


To address extensibility: the dimensions of the board are directly dictated by the argument {7,7}, and the repeating pattern of the board is a consequence of the rule 250 together with an initial condition that has isolated 1s alternating with 0s on the first row. The beauty of cellular automata is of course that they can generate patterns of all sorts of boards, you just have to find the right rule (and starting point). But this difficulty of finding the right initial condition is precisely the tradeoff that you incur when trying to generate a complex result in a functional way. So I think this captures the "philosophy" of functional programming.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...