Skip to main content

Growth of functions


Does somebody know if Mathematica can be used to calculate the growth of functions, that is in Big O, Theta, and Omega and find proper $n_{0}$ and $c_{1}$, $c_{2}$ respectively?




Answer



Yes, Mathematica can be used to characterize the asymptotic behaviour of functions, but maybe not in the straightforward way you intended. Let's see a few examples (I'll focus on asymptotic behaviour as $x\rightarrow\infty$, but behaviour around any other point works the same) of what we can do by looking at limits (using the Limit function):




How to check if $f(x) \in o(g(x))$, or $g(x) \in \omega(f(x))$


There, the question we can ask Mathematica is: what is the limit of $f(x)/g(x)$:




  • If the limit is zero, then $f$ is dominated by $g$, as in the example below, where $$f(x)=x^2e^{-\sqrt x}\ \ \text{ and }\ \ g(x)=e^{-x}$$


    In[1]:= Limit[(x^2*Exp[-Sqrt[x]])/Exp[x], x -> ∞]
    Out[1]= 0



  • If the limit exists, but is not zero (it can be a finite number, an infinity, or an Interval): $f$ is not dominated by $g$ (and if the limit is $\infty$, then in fact $g$ is dominated by $f$). Three examples:


    In[2]:= Limit[(3*x^2 + x + 1)/x^2, x -> ∞]
    Out[2]= 3

    In[3]:= Limit[Gamma[x]/Exp[x], x -> ∞]
    Out[3]= ∞

    In[4]:= Limit[x*Sin[x]/Sqrt[x], x -> ∞]

    Out[4]= Interval[{0, ∞}]


  • If the limit is unknown to Mathematica, then you haven't learnt anything.






How to check if $f(x) \in O(g(x))$


$f(x) \in O(g(x))$ means that, for large enough $x$, $\left\vert f(x)/g(x)\right\vert$ is bounded. So, our options are as such:





  • If $\left|f(x)/g(x)\right|$ converges to a finite number (including zero, but not $\infty$), then that's it: $f(x) \in O(g(x))$


    In[5]:= Limit[(3*x^2 + x + 1)/(Erf[x]*x^2), x -> ∞]
    Out[5]= 3


  • If $|f(x)/g(x)|$ converges to an interval which does not include any infinity, the same is true:


    In[6]:= Limit[Abs[Sin[x]/(2 + Cos[x])], x -> ∞]
    Out[6]= Interval[{0, 1}]



  • If $\left|f(x)/g(x)\right|$ converges to $\infty$ or to an interval containing $\infty$, then $f(x) \not\in O(g(x))$.




  • Otherwise, you have learnt nothing.






The fine print: in many examples above, I calculate $f/g$ instead of $|f/g|$ because I know that the functions both have positive values. Also, if $g(x)$ takes zero as a value in more than a finite number of points, you need to be a little bit more careful than just calculating $f/g$.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...