Skip to main content

Is it possible to get the order of inputs when "overloading" an orderless function?


When working with symbolic matrix operations or other objects which don't have commutative multiplication, it would be nice to not have to constantly switch out times for NonCommutativeMultiply (**). So I was wondering if there is a way to do something like


matrix /: Times[pre___, a_matrix, post___] :=  NonCommutativeMultiply[pre, a, post]
a = matrix["a"];
b = matrix["b"];

and then have it replaced automatically. However since Times is orderless, this doesn't preserve the order. In general, is it impossible to get the order of inputs when doing this kind of "overloading" though upvalues of an orderless function?



Answer



Well, you can sort of do this, by creating something like a continuation. This requires playing games with the Stack, and I don't claim that it is robust, but it may represent some theoretical interest, particularly to those of us looking for ways to implement continuations in Mathematica. Here is the code (edit please note that I had to add Update[matrix] to address some improper behavior noted in the comments end edit):



ClearAll[matrix, inMatrix];
matrix /: HoldPattern[Times[pre___, a_matrix, post___]] :=
(
Update[matrix];
ReleaseHold[NonCommutativeMultiply @@@ $stack]
);
matrix[args__] /; ! TrueQ[inMatrix] :=
Block[{inMatrix = True},
Update[matrix];
$stack = Stack[_][[-5]];

matrix[args]]

It combines UpValues, Villegas-Gayley trick to redefine a function, and manipuations with Stack. What happens is that first, of course, the attributes of Times are applied, I can't fight that. Then, the DownValues of matrix are applied, and at this point I record the relevant part of the Stack. Then, UpValues of matrix are applied, and at that point I communicate the recorded part of the stack, where the attributes of Times weren't yet applied, and Times gets replaced with NonCommutativeMultiply, after which I re-evaluate this, as if it was not evaluated before. The Update sommand is used to prevent caching the values for the $stack, as this is inappropriate here and resulted in some erroneous behavior noted in the comments.


Here are some examples:


a = matrix["a"];
b = matrix["b"];

a*c*b



matrix[a]**c**matrix[b]



f[g[1 + c*a*d*b*e]]


f[g[1 + c ** matrix["a"] ** d ** matrix["b"] ** e]]



I would not probably recommend such tricks for serious use, it is just interesting that you can use them to divert evaluation sequence in ways which seem to be impossible otherwise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...