Skip to main content

notebooks - How to write plain Greek in a text cell


If I create a text cell and type some greek text, most of the symbols are italics as if the cell had an Input style. It doesn't happen with latin characters. I recollect that it is impossible to fix it, but I can't find the source where I read it.


Perhaps someone knows a workaround ? The following screenshot is from Mathematica 8/Linux.


enter image description here


EDIT1: I just noticed that writing capital greek letters works fine (the letters are normal, not italics). The following screenshot is from Mathematica 9.0.1/OSX Mavericks.


enter image description here


Does that piece of information ring any bells to anyone on what might be the underlying problem ?


EDIT2: I also found this link describing a workaround by using custom modified unicode mapping files. I can't check it right now as I'm not near my Linux installation.


EDIT3: I did try it though in Mathematica 9.0.1/OSX (although the article talks about Mathematica 7&8/Linux), and it works great! Here is the relevant screenshot:


enter image description here



EDIT4: As pointed out by @ybeltukov in comments, the workaround is to set the third column of UnicodeFontMapping.tr to 0 (zero) for Greek letters so that the default font is picked for them.


EDIT5: This workaround doesn't anymore apply to Mathematica 10. I cannot find the UnicodeFontMapping.tr file. There's another effective workaround though, described here in Alexey's answer.


EDIT6: The workaround from EDIT5 doesn't work for me in Windows 10 and Mathematica 11.0.1 Student Edition. The uncompressed data in FontMap.tr contain a list of replacement rules, including:


  ...
"GreekFont" -> {913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922, 923,
924, 925, 926, 927, 928, 929, 931, 932, 933, 934, 935, 936, 937,
945, 946, 947, 948, 949, 950, 951, 952, 953, 954, 955, 956, 957,
958, 959, 960, 961, 962, 963, 964, 965, 966, 967, 968, 969},
...


I edited it to be "GreekFont" -> {} and now the workaround works again!



Answer



Font for the Greek letters is defined in UnicodeFontMapping.tr:


...
0x03B1 N -2 0x61 # \[Alpha]
0x03B2 N -2 0x62 # \[Beta]
0x03B3 N -2 0x67 # \[Gamma]
0x03B4 N -2 0x64 # \[Delta]
0x03F5 N 2 0x65 # \[Epsilon]
0x03B5 N -4 0xb6 # \[CurlyEpsilon]

0x03B6 N -2 0x7a # \[Zeta]
...

The third column defines the font. You can set it in corresponding lines to 0 (default font).


This approach was used in your link. Difference between the original file and the file in this link:


--- UnicodeFontMapping.tr       2012-10-26 12:11:10.000000000 +0200
+++ UnicodeFontMapping.tr.v8 2013-11-01 22:09:05.000000000 +0100
...
-0x03B1 N -2 0x61 # \[Alpha]
-0x03B2 N -2 0x62 # \[Beta]

-0x03B3 N -2 0x67 # \[Gamma]
...
+0x03B1 N 0 0x61 # \[Alpha]
+0x03B2 N 0 0x62 # \[Beta]
+0x03B3 N 0 0x67 # \[Gamma]
...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...