Skip to main content

evaluation - Injecting a sequence of expressions into a held expression


Consider the following toy example:


Hold[{1, 2, x}] /. x -> Sequence[3, 4]

It will give


Hold[{1, 2, Sequence[3, 4]}]


because Sequence[] (like Unevaluated) is expanded only in the first level of heads with attribute HoldAll.


How can I obtain Hold[{1,2,3,4}]? What is the simplest way to do this?


Notes:




  • Use case: I am trying to generate a piece of code that will be passed to Compile. I need to inject a variable number of iterators (which I have as a list) into a Do expression:


    Hold[Do[code, iterators]] /. iterators -> Sequence[{i,5}, {j,5}]


  • I would prefers solutions that don't match on the expression enclosing x. I would not like to repeat this expression (a Do in this case) in my code.





  • It's perhaps worth pointing out that


    Hold[{1, 2, f[3, 4]}] //. f[x___] :> x

    returns


    Hold[{1, 2, Sequence[3, 4]}]

    so I can't easily implement a manual sequence-flattening step.







Answers


Based on Leonid's code we can write a flattenSequence[] function that will flatten out all Sequence expressions at any level:


flattenSequence[expr_] := 
expr //. f_[left___, Verbatim[Sequence][middle___], right___] :>
f[left, middle, right]

flattenSequence[Hold[{1, Sequence[2, 3]}]]


(* ==> Hold[{1, 2, 3}] *)

Based on Mr.Wizard's code we can write a general function for injecting subexpressions into other expressions while supporting Sequence:


ClearAll[inject1, inject]

SetAttributes[inject1, HoldFirst]
Quiet[
inject1[expr_, (Rule|RuleDelayed)[var_Symbol, values : Verbatim[Sequence][__]]] :=
Replace[Unevaluated[values], Sequence[var__] :> expr];
inject1[expr_, (Rule|RuleDelayed)[var_Symbol, value_]] :=

Replace[Unevaluated[value], var_ :> expr],

{RuleDelayed::rhs}
]

SetAttributes[inject, HoldAll]
inject[rules_, expr_] :=
Internal`InheritedBlock[
{Rule, RuleDelayed},
SetAttributes[{Rule, RuleDelayed}, HoldFirst];

ReleaseHold@Fold[inject1, HoldComplete[expr], rules]
]

Usage:


inject[{a -> Sequence[b, 3], b :> 1 + 1}, Hold[{a, b}]]

(* ==> Hold[{1 + 1, 3, 1 + 1}] *)

The replacements are done one after the other, so the second one can use the result of the first. Rule and RuleDelayed are both handled correctly.



Answer




{3, 4} /. {x__} :> Hold[{1, 2, x}]


Hold[{1, 2, 3, 4}]

Leonid Shifrin used this here long before I wrote this answer.




In light of Leonid's comment to halirutan it is worth pointing out that you can inject expressions from an arbitrary head including Hold. You can also use -> rather than :> like this:


expr = Hold[{1, 2, x}];


Hold[6/2, 2 + 2] /. _[x__] -> expr


Hold[{1, 2, 6/2, 2 + 2}]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...