Skip to main content

geography - How to find what you want in curated data?


The following gives a list of all counties in the state of Maryland.


counties = EntityClass["AdministrativeDivision", "USCountiesMaryland"]
["Name"];
Flatten[StringDrop[StringCases[#, __ ~~ ","], -1] & /@ counties]

(* {Allegany County, Maryland,Anne Arundel County, Maryland,

Baltimore (independent city), Maryland,Baltimore County,
Maryland,Calvert County, Maryland,Caroline County, Maryland,
Carroll County, Maryland,Cecil County, Maryland,Charles County,
Maryland,Dorchester County, Maryland,Frederick County, Maryland,Garrett
County, Maryland,Harford County, Maryland,Howard County, Maryland,
Kent County, Maryland,Montgomery County, Maryland,Prince George's
County, Maryland,Queen Anne's County, Maryland,Somerset County,
Maryland,St. Mary's County, Maryland,Talbot County, Maryland,
Washington County, Maryland,Wicomico County, Maryland,Worcester
County, Maryland} *)


The first line is based on code another person wrote. I have seen use of "AdministrativeDivision" and "Name" before. How would I determine that "USCountiesMaryland" is needed? Also, how does one know when EntityClass needs more than one argument?



Answer



(See also this: http://reference.wolfram.com/language/guide/KnowledgeRepresentationAndAccess.html)


This is all in the docs, but maybe it's good to lay out here.


If you need classes, use EntityClassList:


EntityClassList["AdministrativeDivision"] // CanonicalName // 
Take[#, 5] &

{"ADM1", "ADM2", "ADM3", "AllUSStatesAndTerritories", \

"AllUSStatesPlusDC"}

If you need properties, use EntityProperties:


EntityProperties["AdministrativeDivision"] // CanonicalName // 
Take[#, 5] &

{"AccommodationAndFoodServicesSales", "AggravatedAssault", \
"AggravatedAssaultRate", "AggregateHouseholdIncome", "AnnualBirths"}

If you want straight-up entities, use EntityList:



EntityList["Aircraft"] // CanonicalName // Take[#, 5] &

{"RB1", "CAP1", "TSR2", "3ISkyArrow", "3SigmaNearchos"}

Note that EntityList can be applied to a class, too and EntityProperties can be applied to individual entities.


If you want the type name, use EntityTypeName, see also CanonicalName and CommonName


I don't actually know how to get a list of every EntityPropertyClass for an entity type without direct access to the EntityStore


If you want an Association or Dataset of your data, you can specify that to EntityValue. This works even for custom entities provided via EntityStore:


EntityValue[Entity["AirlineSafety", "Aer Lingus"], "Association"]


<|EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Label"] -> "Aer Lingus",
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Airline"] -> "Aer Lingus",
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "AvailableSeatKilometersPerWeek"] ->
320906734, EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Incidents85to99"] -> 2,
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "FatalAccidents85to99"] -> 0,
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Fatalities85to99"] -> 0,
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Incidents00to14"] -> 0,
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "FatalAccidents00to14"] -> 0,
EntityProperty["AirlineSafety", "Fatalities00to14"] -> 0|>


Note that this also can be used on types or classes, e.g,


EntityClass["Airline", "Departures" -> GreaterThan[1000000]][
"Association"] // Map[Take[#, 3] &]

<|Entity["Airline",
"SouthwestAirlinesCo::tcv64"] -> <|EntityProperty["Airline",
"AircraftFuel"] -> Quantity[1.53*10^9, "Gallons"],
EntityProperty["Airline", "AirlineID"] -> "19393",
EntityProperty["Airline", "Airtime"] ->
Quantity[36319489/20, "Hours"]|>|>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...