Skip to main content

numerics - Machine Epsilon


I'm trying to evaluate the machine epsilon of my computer (see below). I wrote this:


eps = 1.0;
p = 0;
While[(1.0 + eps) > 1.0, eps = eps/2.0; p += 1];
eps
p

eps*2

and got:


1.42109*10^-14
46
2.84217*10^-14

which is not what I expected (IEEE754). So I did this


EngineeringForm[1.0 + 2 * eps, 20]
EngineeringForm[1.0 + eps, 20]

EngineeringForm[1.0 + (eps/2.0), 20]
EngineeringForm[1.0 + (eps/4.0), 20]
EngineeringForm[1.0 + (eps/16.0), 20]
EngineeringForm[1.0 + (eps/32.0), 20]

and got that:


1.000000000000028
1.000000000000014
1.000000000000007
1.000000000000004

1.000000000000001
1.

which seems to contradict the termination condition of the 'while' loop. So I would like to understand what's going on under Mathematica's hood. I tried to look for some information on Mathematica's internal float representation without success. Any help to explain these results is welcome. I'm sorry if my question is a bit vague.


Eric


Context:


SystemInformationData[{"Kernel" ->
{"Version" -> "9.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (January 24, 2013)",
"ReleaseID" -> "9.0.1.0 (4055646, 4055073)", ...}]


EDIT


It was suggested the following program that works directly for some reason:


eps = 1.0;
n = 0;
While[(1.0 + eps) - 1.0 > 0.0,
eps = eps/2;
n++;
];
eps*2
n

Log[2, eps*2]

Answer



There is a tolerance Internal`$EqualTolerance that is applied when testing Real numbers. If the numbers agree up to the last Internal`$EqualTolerance digits, then they are treated as equal. Try this:


eps = 1.0;
p = 0;
Block[{Internal`$EqualTolerance = 0.},
While[(1.0 + eps) > 1.0, eps = eps/2.0; p += 1];
]
eps
p

eps*2
(*
1.11022*10^-16
53
2.22045*10^-16
*)

See How to make the computer consider two numbers equal up to a certain precision and also this answer by Alexey Popkov.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...