Skip to main content

mathematical optimization - Simulated Annealing Convergence


I am using Simulated Annealing method for a simulation based optimization of a process that has 3 variables, using NMinimize. I print the input/output during every iteration using the "Evaluation Monitor". I have noticed that after about 3000 iterations, Mathematica gives me a convergence result. But checking the results from "Evaluation Monitor" shows that the ultimate convergence result is not the global minimal, but the process has visited a better minimal during one of the iterations. Why is this happening?


Here is a sample code:



demand[n_,k_]:=Min[k Vf,n capacity];
supply[n_,k_]:=Min[(n Kj-k) w, n capacity];
flo[n_,Ku_,Kd_]:=Min[demand[n,Ku],supply[n,Kd]];
dx=Vf*dt; n=Round[Flen/dx]; m=Round[SimTime/dt];
p=Round[Rlen/dx]; θ=Vf/w; capacity=w*Vf*Kj/(Vf+w); α[a1_]:=1800.; β[a2_]:=0.1; L=3.;
Flen=8.; Rlen=3.; SimTime=30./60.; Kj=150.; w=20.; Vf=100.; dt=12./3600.; d=1.;
RMLocation=Round[(2/3) p]; j=0;

f[a1_,a2_,a3_]:=Module[{b1=a1,b2=a2,b3=a3,TT=0,NtwrkTT=0,j=0},
RM[x_,t_]:=Piecewise[{{100 b1,x<=3},{100 b2,3
NtwrkTT=0; Clear[k0,kr,k,γ];
k0=ConstantArray[0,n];
kr=Table[Table[0,{k,1,p}],{i,1,n}];
γ=ConstantArray[1,n];
For[i=2, i TT=Plus@@(Plus@@kr); NtwrkTT=TT; k=k0;
While[TT>0, TT=0;
For[i=2, i dem=demand[L,k0[[i]]]; dem=If[dem==0,0.001,dem];
γ[[i]]=Min[1,supply[L,k0[[i+1]]]/dem];

ϕ=γ[[i]] demand[1,kr[[i,p]]]/d;
Qr=(ϕ-β[i dx] FQin) dx;
FQout=Min[demand[L,k0[[i]]],supply[L,k0[[i+1]]]];
k[[i]]=k0[[i]]+(FQin-FQout+Qr)/Vf;
kr0=kr[[i]];
For[ir=2,ir<=p,ir++,
MR=If[ir==RMLocation+1,RM[i dx,j dt],capacity];
RQin=Min[MR,If[ir==2,flo[1,kr0[[ir-1]],kr0[[ir]]],RQout]];
MR=If[ir==RMLocation,RM[i dx,j dt],capacity];
RQout=Min[MR,If[ir
kr[[i,ir]]=kr0[[ir]]+(RQin-RQout)/Vf];
kr[[i,1]]=If[j<=m,α[i dx] d/Vf,0]];
TT=Plus@@(Plus@@kr);
TT+=Plus@@k;
k0=k;NtwrkTT+=TT;j++];
NtwrkTT dt]
NMinimize[{f[a,b,c],3<=a<=12&&3<=b<=12&&3<=c<=12&&Element[a|b|c,Integers]},{a,b,c},Method->{"SimulatedAnnealing","SearchPoints"->5^5},EvaluationMonitor:>Print["a = ",a," , b = ",b," , c = ",c," , f[a,b,c] = ",f[a,b,c]]]

Hope this helps.


Ps. Any suggestions to improve the performance of this code will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.



edit:


As per @@Kuba's suggestion, I split the original question in to two. The second part is at Simulated Annealing Parameters and Results



Answer



I found the solution on another website "http://eternaldisturbanceincosmos.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/nminimize-in-mathematica-could-drive-you-insane/" which says "It turns out that NMinimize does not hold its arguments. This means that as the list of arguments is read from left to right, each argument is evaluated and replaced by the result of the evaluation". So I used Hold[] in the NMinimize function that fixed the problem.


Edit:


As suggested by Szabolcs, it worked with ?NumericQ alone and no Hold[]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...