Skip to main content

plotting - How can I get Mathematica to not mis-align plot labels when exporting to pdf without rasterizing the text?


I have this code:


p = ListPlot[Table[Table[{x, m x}, {x, 0, 20000, 100}],
{m, 0.05/20000, 7/20000, (7 - 0.05)/20000/20}],
PlotLabels -> {"a", "asdfdfasfasdfasd", a, a, a, a, a, a, a, a,
"adfsfasda", "aasdfadfsfasdafsdfasd"},
PlotRange -> {Full, {0, 2}}, ImageSize -> 500]

rp = Rasterize[p]
Export["/tmp/foo2-p.pdf", p]
Export["/tmp/foo2-rp.pdf", rp]
Export["/tmp/foo2-p.png", p]
Export["/tmp/foo2-rp.png", rp]

I get the following images:


foo2-p.pdf:


foo2-p.pdf


foo2-rp.pdf:



foo2-rp.pdf


foo2-p.png:


foo2-p.png


foo2-rp.png:


foo2-rp.png


If I rasterize first, or if I export to png, then the long names are horizontally aligned with the other names. However, if I export directly to pdf, then the names are horribly misaligned. How do I fix this issue without rasterizing the labels? And why is Mathematica doing this? (If it's relevant, I'm using Mathematica 11.2.0.0 on Linux x86_64.)




I've noticed that, using ImageMagick to convert the pdfs to pngs to upload them, the plot labels seem to be centered in boxes that are correctly aligned. So I suspect that one way of fixing this could be somehow tricking Mathematica into thinking that the shorter text is longer than it (a la LaTeX's \smash, \rlap, \llap, \phantom, etc).



Answer



I'm coming the the conclusion that pdf export is buggy in computing bounding boxes. I discovered I can fix the offset by adding:



/. Text[v_, Offset[{dx_, dy_}, {x_, y_}], {0, 0}] :>
Text[v, Offset[{14, 0}, {x, y}], {Left, Center}]

(14 is a magic number that comes from inspecting the input form of graphics and looking that the difference between the size of the image as given by Dimensions of the results of Text[] within Graphics[] and the specified dx offset)


So this code seems to work:


p = ListPlot[Table[Table[{x, m x}, {x, 0, 20000, 100}],
{m, 0.05/20000, 7/20000, (7 - 0.05)/20000/20}],
PlotLabels -> {"a", "asdfdfasfasdfasd", a, a, a, a, a, a, a, a,
"adfsfasda", "aasdfadfsfasdafsdfasd"},
PlotRange -> {Full, {0, 2}}, ImageSize -> 500] /.

Text[v_, Offset[{dx_, dy_}, {x_, y_}], {0, 0}] :>
Text[v, Offset[{14, 0}, {x, y}], {Left, Center}]

Addendum: From https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/163490/12258, another option which seems to help but not fully solve the problem (see also How does pdf export handle text alignment?) is to include an explicit FontSize:


p = ListPlot[Table[Table[{x, m x}, {x, 0, 20000, 100}],
{m, 0.05/20000, 7/20000, (7 - 0.05)/20000/20}],
PlotLabels -> Map[Style[#1, 10]&,
{"a", "asdfdfasfasdfasd", a, a, a, a, a, a, a, a,
"adfsfasda", "aasdfadfsfasdafsdfasd"}],
PlotRange -> {Full, {0, 2}}, ImageSize -> 500]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...