Skip to main content

simplifying expressions - Assumptions on unknown functions


I'm trying to do analytic calculations in a quantum mechanic harmonic oscillator basis. Specifically I want to be able to evaluate functions of the many particle density.


I define the following functions: [definitions]


(* Harmonic Oscillator Eigenstate *)
basis[i_, z_] = Pi^(-1/4)/Sqrt[2^i Factorial[i]] Exp[-z^2/2] HermiteH[i, z];
(* Orbital *)

orb[i_, z_] = Sum[c[i, k] basis[k, z], {k, 0, t}];
(* Particle density of one orbital *)
orbitaldens[i_, z_] = Conjugate[orb[i, z]] psi[i, z];
(* Total density *)
dens[z_] = Sum[a[i] orbitaldens[i, z], {i, 1, n}];

To help Mathematica I define some assumptions beforehand: [assumptions]


$Assumptions = Element[z, Reals] && (* Real-space coordinate is real *)
Element[{n, t}, Integers] && n > 0 && t > 0 && (* Just indices *)
Element[c[i_, j_], Complexes] && (* Complex state vector *)

Element[a[i_], Reals]; (* Real filling factor *)

What is the correct way to define assumptions on an unknown function? Here c[i_, j_] should take integers i, and j and return a complex number. a[i_] on the other hand should take on integer i and return a positive real number.


Unfortunately, the evaluation of the definitons takes very long if I include these assumptions. Without them the definitions block takes about a second to evaluate.


However, I need those assumptions, so Mathematica can do useful simplifications. For example Conjugate[orb[i,z]] orb[i,z]//FullSimplify should simplify to Abs[orb[i,z]]^2. But the same should work, if I only apply the complex conjugation to c[i,k] inside orb[i,z], because basis[i,z] is real. So far, this takes too long to evaluate.


Is it possible to speed this whole thing up?


Another problem I found is the codomain of the Factorial The following two expressions do not evaluate to True, neither to False. They just repeat the first parameter of Refine:


Refine[Element[Sqrt[Factorial[i]], Reals], Element[i, Integers] && i > 0]
Refine[Factorial[i] > 0, Element[i, Integers] && i > 0]


In words, the factorial of a positive integer is not necessarily positive.


What is wrong there? I don't see how the factorial of a positive integer could become negative. (In symbolic maths)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...