Skip to main content

How can I find solutions for this equation?


I have a function cxyz[s1, e1, s2, e2], and I want to find at least one set of {s1, e1, s2, e2} for which the function's output is {2, 2, 2}. Both NSolve and Solve give me that there are no solutions, but by manually adjusting the variables I can get close to {2, 2, 2}.


The definition of the function is:


ChromaticityPlot["RGB"];
{cx, cy, cz} =
Interpolation[#, Method -> "Spline", InterpolationOrder -> 1] & /@
Map[Function[u,
Map[{#1[[1]],

Total[Select[u, Function[t, t[[1]] <= #1[[1]]]]][[2]]} &, u]],
Thread[{Image`ColorOperationsDump`$wavelengths, #}] & /@
Transpose[Image`ColorOperationsDump`tris]];
cxyz[s1_, e1_, s2_, e2_] := {cx[e1], cy[e1], cz[e1]} - {cx[s1], cy[s1],
cz[s1]} + {cx[e2], cy[e2], cz[e2]} - {cx[s2], cy[s2], cz[s2]}

Answer



You have an underdetermined system (more unknowns than equations). One possibility would be to use NMinimize[] on the sum of squares of differences (actually, NArgMin[] suffices, but you'll see why I didn't use it).


Most of the methods available to NMinimize[] take a "RandomSeed" option, which can be tweaked to produce different results if the objective function has multiple minima. Let's try this on the OP's system, using differential evolution as the optimization method:


Table[NMinimize[{SquaredEuclideanDistance[cxyz[s1, e1, s2, e2], {2, 2, 2}],
385 <= {s1, e1, s2, e2} <= 745}, {s1, e1, s2, e2},

Method -> {"DifferentialEvolution", "RandomSeed" -> k,
"ScalingFactor" -> 0.9}],
{k, 5}]
{{1.53211*10^-12, {s1 -> 479.195, e1 -> 743.045, s2 -> 635.343, e2 -> 503.826}},
{2.2567*10^-10, {s1 -> 385.967, e1 -> 572.506, s2 -> 562.054, e2 -> 422.602}},
{2.18925*10^-10, {s1 -> 386.46, e1 -> 422.611, s2 -> 562.054, e2 -> 572.507}},
{2.24271*10^-10, {s1 -> 562.053, e1 -> 422.587, s2 -> 385.185, e2 -> 572.506}},
{6.67845*10^-11, {s1 -> 563.374, e1 -> 448.807, s2 -> 443.187, e2 -> 573.769}}}

Note that five rather different minima were obtained, and all resulting in a relatively tiny value of the objective function. Which of these is the one you want/need is now entirely your decision. Using a different "RandomSeed" setting or even a different optimization method will in all likelihood give results different from what you see here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...