Skip to main content

performance tuning - How to speed up calculation of this equation (FindRoot)


I have come up with the following functions, and I need to calculate a value, in order to have a condition valid. In my problem, all data are given, and I need to calculate variable l. I am using findroot, and I give an initial value of 25 (plausible assumption) in order to get what I need. Although my calculation is correct, it is really time consuming (I am using an i7 -3720 qm) and it takes almost 8-9 seconds. My question is, how can I speed up evaluation speed.


f1[x_, y_] := 
PDF[NormalDistribution[l, 3.975], x]*

PDF[NormalDistribution[53.559 - l, 3.975], y];
p = (1 - Sum[f1[i, i], {i, 0, 50}])/(1 -
Sum[f1[i, i], {i, 0, 50}]*1.4317884120211488);



f2[x_, y_] := If[x == y, f1[x, y]*1.4317884120211488`,
f1[x, y]/p];

A = SessionTime[];

sexpNEW =
FindRoot[Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 0, 50}, {j, 0, i - 6.5}] ==
0.4605263157894738, {l, 25}]
B = SessionTime[];

My results:


{l->29.8104}

{ speed:,8.6508650,seconds}




consider the following example, which is based on my previous, but this time some variables are unknown, lets call them u1, u2, u3


f1[x_,y_]:=PDF[NormalDistribution[u1,2.1],x]*PDF[NormalDistribution[u2,2.05],y];

p=(1-Sum[f1[i,i],{i,0,20}])/(1-Sum[f1[i,i],{i,0,50}]*u3);

f2[x_,y_]:=If[x==y,f1[x,y]*u3,f1[x,y]/p];

limit1=20.5;




FindRoot[
Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 0, limit1}, {j, 0, limit1 - i}] ==
0.4285714285714286`
&& Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 1, 20}, {j, 0, i - 1}] == 0.47417677642980943`
&& Sum[f2[i, j], {j, 1, 20}, {i, 0, j - 1}] ==
0.2558058925476603`, {u1, 12}, {u2, 12}, {u3,
1}] // AbsoluteTiming


{8.18311, {u1 -> 11.0489, u2 -> 10.0626, u3 -> 2.10168}}

How would I use compile as you did @xzczd, in order to use findroot for a 3*3 system?




edit: (26/2/2016)


I am studying compile and I have a question regarding its applications. Could I use it in recursive functions too? I am using memoization, but even though I gain in speed, I was thinking that compile could improve my speeds further. My question is, how could I define the following function with compile? I tried to do so, but when I call my function, it keeps running forever.


This is my original function


f[t_, d_] := 
f[t, d] =
If[t > 80, 0,

If[d == A && t == B, 1,
p7h*f[t + 1, d - 7] + p5h*f[t + 1, d - 5] +
p3h*f[t + 1, d - 3] + p7a*f[t + 1, d + 7] +
p5a*f[t + 1, d + 5] + p3a*f[t + 1, d + 3] +
pns*f[t + 1, d]]]

and this is how i tried to rewrite it using Compile


fC=
Compile[{t, d},
If[t > 80, 0,

If[d == A && t == B, 1,
p7h*fC[t + 1, d - 7] + p5h*fC[t + 1, d - 5] +
p3h*fC[t + 1, d - 3] + p7a*fC[t + 1, d + 7] +
p5a*fC[t + 1, d + 5] + p3a*fC[t + 1, d + 3] +
pns*fC[t + 1, d]]]
]

t,d are intenger variables, and so are A and B. Thank you in advance.



Answer



You need Compile, with option "EvaluateSymbolically" -> False:



cf = Compile[{l}, #, RuntimeOptions -> "EvaluateSymbolically" -> False] &@
Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 0, 50}, {j, 0, i - 6.5}];

FindRoot[cf@l == 0.4605263157894738, {l, 25}] // AbsoluteTiming


{0.015624, {l -> 29.8104}}



Update:



The method I showed above is fully applicable to the new added sample:


cfgenerator = 
Compile[{u1, u2, u3}, #, RuntimeOptions -> "EvaluateSymbolically" -> False] &;

{cf1, cf2, cf3} = cfgenerator /@ {Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 0, limit1}, {j, 0, limit1 - i}],
Sum[f2[i, j], {i, 1, 20}, {j, 0, i - 1}],
Sum[f2[i, j], {j, 1, 20}, {i, 0, j - 1}]};

FindRoot[cf1[u1, u2, u3] == 0.4285714285714286` &&
cf2[u1, u2, u3] == 0.47417677642980943` &&

cf3[u1, u2, u3] == 0.2558058925476603`, {u1, 12}, {u2, 12}, {u3, 1}] // AbsoluteTiming


{0.052929, {u1 -> 11.0489, u2 -> 10.0626, u3 -> 2.10168}}

Then I'd like to talk a little about why this method works. Simply speaking, your original code is slow because those Sums are very big, and Compile is a way to speed up the evaluation of big expressions that are formed by relatively low level functions.


Well, to be honest, before answering, I hesitate for a while, because Compile isn't really a easy-to-use function (see here for more information) and personaly I don't recommond not-that-experienced Mathematica user jumping into the world of compiling. However, your Sums can (luckily) evaluate to compilable algebraic expressions and are so suitable for Compile that I can't help posting this answer. If you want to learn more about Compile (as mentioned above, currently I don't recommend you to! ) , you can consider starting from here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...