Skip to main content

functions - How to Reap data from a ScheduledTask?


Here is an amusing little function mapped over a range just to iterate it. It ignores its argument and works entirely by side-effecting a global variable:


n$ = 1;

Map[(n$ = (n$++) + n$) &, Range[5]]


{3, 7, 15, 31, 63}

Here is a version of the same thing, just using Reap and Sow:


n$ = 1;
Reap[Map[Sow[n$ = (n$++) + n$] &, Range[5]]][[1]]



{3, 7, 15, 31, 63}

Here is a version that evaluates the function in an asynchronous task, capturing the result in a Dynamic (you'll have to key it in to a notebook, or evaluate the SEUploader (courtesy of @halirutan) notebook I linked at the end of this post, to see the variable n$ updating dynamically):


n$ = 1;
Dynamic[n$]
RunScheduledTask[n$ = (n$++) + n$, {0.25, 5}];


63


Clean up the task:


RemoveScheduledTask[ScheduledTasks[]]

Now, here is an attempt to also capture the results in a Reap (notice no semicolon at the end; I want to see the results of the Reap as well as to see the Dynamic):


n$ = 1;
Dynamic[n$]
Reap[RunScheduledTask[Sow[n$ = (n$++) + n$], {0.25, 5}]]


63


{ScheduledTaskObject[7, HoldForm[Sow[n$ = Increment[n$] + n$]], {0.25, 5},
Automatic, True, "AutoRemove" -> False, "EpilogFunction" :> Null,
"TaskGroup" -> "Global`"], {}}

and its cleanup


RemoveScheduledTask[ScheduledTasks[]]

Evidently, the Reap is evaluated too early and the sown results are lost. How can I get the intended results?


Here's the entire notebook, SE-Uploaded (just evaluate the following expression in a fresh notebook):



Import["http://goo.gl/NaH6rM"]["http://i.stack.imgur.com/x1zYS.png"]

Answer



You can't do this that way,


when you evaluate RunScheduledTask you are only sending a held procedure for scheduled evaluation to Kernel. But Reap[expr]:



gives the value of expr together with all expressions to which Sow has been applied during its evaluation.



RunScheduledTask is of course HoldFirst so Sow is not applied at this time.


You can put Reap inside but the you will need also some temporary variable to be able to retrive reaped value from scheduled evaluation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...