Skip to main content

plotting - How to prepare data for ListVectorPlot[]?


I was trying to plot a few velocity vectors measured at given points. However I am unable to do this with ListVectorPlot[] function. I get error each time I try to use it (it says: VisualizationCoreListVectorPlot::vfldata: {{{1,1},{2,2}}} is not a valid vector field dataset or a valid list of datasets.). Finally I succeeded using Arrow[] graphics entity, but I'd rather use ListVectorPlot[] function.


Lets say I have three


points={{1,1},{2,1},{3,1}} 

and 2D vectors measured in that points:


vec={{1,0},{0.7,0.1},{1,-0.1}}


How to prepare data to plot this using ListVectorPlot to get such an image:


Arrows obrained by the following code:


Code used to plot arrows:


ar = {
Graphics[Arrow[{{1, 1}, {1 + 1, 1 + 0}}]],
Graphics[Arrow[{{2, 1}, {2 + 0.7, 1 + 0.1}}]],
Graphics[Arrow[{{3, 1}, {3 + 1, 1 - 0.1}}]]
};
Show[ar]


Answer



Let me explain the error message first. You assumed that you can give a list of points and vectors and ListVectorPlot draws exactly those vectors. This is not the case. If you give ListVectorPlot 4 vectors on the corner of the unit-square, it will do the following:


ListVectorPlot[{
{{0, 0}, {1, 1}},
{{1, 0}, {-1, 0}},
{{1, 1}, {-1, -1}},
{{0, 1}, {-1, 0}}}]

Mathematica graphics


See that it interpolates all values in between? And here is the problem with your dataset. All your vectors lie on a line which makes it impossible to create a 2d-plot.



Therefore, are you sure you want to use ListVectorPlot? What you try can be achieved in one line of code (no matter how many points and vectors you have!)


Graphics[Arrow[{#1, #1 + #2}] & @@@ Transpose[{points, vec}]]

Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...