Skip to main content

programming - Why does Mathematica choose the second function definition?


While working on a solution to this question I've come across a case where I simply don't understand Mathematica's behaviour.


I've got the following definitions:


PatternImplies[(x:(Verbatim[Blank]

|Verbatim[BlankSequence]
|Verbatim[BlankNullSequence]))[h_],x[]]:=True

(*CatchAll rule*)
PatternImplies[_,_]:=Maybe;

Now I try this:


PatternImplies[_Integer,_]
(*
==> Maybe

*)

I would have expected True. My first thought was that I probably got the pattern wrong, so I tested:


MatchQ[PatternImplies[_Integer,_],
PatternImplies[(x:(Verbatim[Blank]
|Verbatim[BlankSequence]
|Verbatim[BlankNullSequence]))[h_],x[]]]
(*
==> True
*)


In other words, the pattern matches. Moreover, looking at Downvalues I see that the special rule is indeed stored before the catch-all rule.


So why does Mathematica chose the second definition (and more importantly, what can I do about it?)



Answer



As far as I can tell, it should match the catch all rule. That's because _ isn't of the form x[]


Now, when you test the MatchQ expression, both arguments are first evaluated. So, you're actually doing MatchQ[maybe, maybe] which of course returns True.


You can do the checking as you intended to by first holding the arguments


MatchQ[Hold@PatternImplies[_Integer, _], 
Hold@PatternImplies[(x : (Verbatim[Blank] | Verbatim[BlankSequence] |
Verbatim[BlankNullSequence]))[h_], x[]]]


False

EDIT:


I now see what you intended with x[]. You could do x_[] instead. That would mean "any no-argument expression whose head coincides with the previous pattern labelled x. If you write x[] it matches literally


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...