Skip to main content

performance tuning - Fast Trial Division


I'm going to write a custom Trial Division primality test. I know that PrimeQ will first try trial division and then switches to PowerMod.


TrialFactorFreeQ[N_, Max_] := 
(For[j = 1, j < Max && Divisible[N, Prime[j]] == False, j++];
Return[j == Max])


For example for testing a 300K digits number with first 100,000 primes, it took 4 seconds which is very slow since a real testing is applied for billions of primes.


In[179]:= Timing[TrialFactorFreeQ[3^1000000 + 2, 100000]]

Out[179]= {4.031, True}

Can it be optimized?




I wrote the parallel version and its timing seems good but when I wrap it in a function, the timing goes to sky:


p = 3^1000000 + 2;
max = Prime[100000];


In[85]:= ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ[Num_, Maxi_] := (IsFree = True;
ParallelDo[
If[Divisible[Num, i], IsFree = False; Break[]], {i,
Prime[Range[1, PrimePi[Maxi]]]}] If[! IsFree, AbortKernels[]];
Return[IsFree])

In[82]:= AbsoluteTiming[ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ[p, max]]

Out[82]= {18.2821829, True}


In[84]:= Timing[Num = p; Maxi = max;
IsFree = True;
ParallelDo[
If[Divisible[Num, i], IsFree = False; Break[]],
{i,Prime[Range[1, PrimePi[Maxi]]]}];
If[! IsFree, AbortKernels[]]; IsFree]

Out[84]= {0.609, True}




Updated


Based on the Daniel Lichtblau answer to my Fast Sieve Implementation question, I wrote a very fast Trial Division function which can be used for numbers that are larger than products of primes in the given range:


prod = Product[i, {i, Prime[Range[10^5]]}];

TrialFactorFreeQ2[n_] := GCD[n, prod] == 1

And a 10x speedup


n = 3^1000000 + 2;


Timing[TrialFactorFreeQ2[n]]


{0.375, True}




Answer



For me


 SetAttributes[ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ, HoldAll]

does the trick and reduces the measured time your function needs to evaluate down to what you would expect.



Additionally I noticed that specifying the method used by ParallelDo brings down the timing slightly. By try and error i figured that Method -> "CoarsestGrained" works best on my machine. For other methods have a look in the documentation of Parallelize in the MORE INFORMATION- section. Code looks as follows:


p = 3^1000000 + 2;
maxIndex = 100000;

.


ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ[Num_, MaxIndex_] := (
IsFree = True;
ParallelDo[
If[Divisible[Num, i], IsFree = False; Break[]],
{i, Prime[Range[1, MaxIndex]]},

Method -> "CoarsestGrained"]
If[! IsFree, AbortKernels[]];
Return[IsFree])

.


SetAttributes[ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ, HoldAll]

.


AbsoluteTiming[ParallelTrialFactorFreeQ[p, maxIndex]]



{2.611613, True} (* First Run *)


{2.0153128, True} (* Second Run *)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...