Skip to main content

Series and that old ivar error


I am trying to compare plots of the function (1+x)^{1/3} and its power series. The code for the power series generates an error message referring to an invalid variable: 'General::ivar: -1.09993 is not a valid variable."' This message occurred with a minimum x of -1.1. Whatever value is given to the minimum x, the error message is always .00007 or .00008 greater. Yet it continues and plots the curve to maximum x. I would like to know the reason for the error message.



A previous similar question by @fasttouch "Plot Series output?" was closed as off-topic. The apparent correct answers were to apply Normal[], which I have done, and Evaluate[], which here seems to have no effect, as the curves with and without it coincide. If there is a trivial syntax error, it would not surprise me, but I can't see it, nor does the answer appear to be easily found in the documentation. I have Mathematica 8.


I am also wondering why I need to reference the series with an index in Plot, but not in Print.


x0 = 0; n = 30;

Print["Series up to 5th power: ",
Normal[Series[Power[1 + x, 1/3], {x, x0, 5}]]];

Plot[{
Evaluate[Normal[Series[Power[1 + x, 1/3], {x, x0, n}][[1]]]],
Normal[Series[Power[1 + x, 1/3] + .01, {x, x0, n}][[1]]]

}, {x, -1.1, 2.5}, Background -> White]

After submitting this, I find that all works well if I write it this way:


s[x_] := Normal[Series[Power[1 + x, 1/3], {x, x0,  n}]];

Plot[Evaluate@s[x], {x, -1, 1}]

My current guess is that there was some confusion of the x's in Series[] and Plot[].



Answer



You have the x overloaded in too many places. You use it as free variable for the Series, then you use it for the plot command variable. I think this error happens because



 ?? Plot

show it has HoldAll. Then the x for the plot takes effect before the Series is expanded. But this 'x' is now a number, so Series complains as it needs a symbol.


But best to Keep things simple. One way:


ClearAll[x]
x0 = 0; n = 30;
ser = Normal[Series[Power[1 + x, 1/3], {x, x0, n}]];
f = (1 + x)^(1/3);
Plot[Evaluate@{ser, f}, {x, -1.1, 2.5}, Background -> White,
Frame -> True, PlotLegends -> {"Series", "function"}]


Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...