Skip to main content

assumptions - Is my expression too complicated for FullSimplify or am I doing something wrong?


I have a messily defined function $v(h, w)$ with $h, w \in \mathbb{R}$ and with a removable singularity at $h=1/2$, and I am trying to prove some of its properties using Mathematica. In particular I want to prove that $v(h,w) \in \mathbb{R}$, as opposed to possibly having nonzero imaginary part, and I want to prove that $v(h,w) = v(1-h, -w)$. I am defining the function in Mathematica as follows:


a[h_] = h / (2*h - 1)
q[h_, w_] = Sqrt[2*h - 1] * Sqrt[2*w]
v[h_, w_] = Exp[-w]*(2/Sqrt[Pi])*q[h,w]*Exp[(q[h,w]*a[h])^2] / ( Erfi[q[h,w]*a[h]] + Erfi[q[h,w]*(1 - a[h])] )


I apologize for its messiness. My initial hope was that Mathematica would tell me that this is just a well known special function with known properties which I could cite. My next hope was that I could at least use applications of FullSimplify with Assumptions to prove the properties. But I have not been successful at either approach.


To make my question more concrete, I am wondering why Mathematica does not simplify the following expression to True:


FullSimplify[ v[h, w] == v[1 - h, -w], Element[{w,h}, Reals] && h != 1/2]

One possibility is that I am wrong about the math. I've tried to rule this out by using Mathematica to prove special cases like the following, where I've also tried other values of $h$ besides $1/5$.


FullSimplify[ v[1/5, w] / v[1 - 1/5, -w] ]
FullSimplify[ v[1/5, w] - v[1 - 1/5, -w] ]
FullSimplify[ v[1/5, w] == v[1 - 1/5, -w] ]

Another possibility is that it is too hard for Mathematica. But I think the most likely explanation is that I'm using Mathematica wrong because I'm a newbie.





Update:
Inspired by @rcollyer's answer I took out a pencil and paper and figured out how to write this function as the reciprocal of a series that satisfies the properties by construction:


fterm[h_, w_, k_] = (((-4*w)^k) / (2*k+1)!!) * (h / (2*h-1)) * Exp[w]*(h^2 / (2*h-1))^k
f[h_, w_] = Sum[fterm[h, w, k] + fterm[1-h, -w, k], {k, 0, Infinity}]

Mathematica is still unable to directly verify that $f(h,w) = f(1-h,-w)$ on the appropriate domain, but $1/f(h,w)$ compares True to the original function $v(h,w)$. As a side note, I had hoped that in the process of verifying these properties I would find a formula that gets rid of the computational difficulty associated with the removable singularity at $h=1/2$ for free, but this did not happen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...