Skip to main content

How to apply a function to a list of tuples


trialList = {{0, 24.701}, {1, 24.69}, {2, 24.733}};
f[x_] := x + 1;

I would like to apply the function f to only the second element of each tuple. How is this done?


The actual list is 16,000 entries long. How do I iterate over the whole list applying the function to only the second entry of each tuple? I tried the following, but it does not do what I want:


{trialList[[1]], f[trialList[[2]]]} & @@@ trialList

Answer



If you need to worry about execution speed, then there's a better alternative, using Transpose. First I'll list the timings for the solutions in the other answers. For that purpose, I create a trialList with 160000 random entries, and in the tests I suppress the output to avoid huge output lists:


trialList = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {160000, 2}];

f[x_] := x + 1

Timing[{#1, f[#2]} & @@@ trialList;]


{0.326740, Null}



Timing[MapAt[f, trialList, {;; , 2}];]



{0.271610, Null}



Timing[trialList[[All, 2]] = f /@ trialList[[All, 2]];]


{0.207944, Null}



Timing[trialList /. {a_, b_} :> {a, f[b]};]



{0.290535, Null}



Here is my proposal:


Timing[Transpose[{#1, Thread[f[#2]]} & @@ Transpose[trialList]];]


{0.053719, Null}



It's 4 to 6 times faster. The right-most Transpose converts the trialList into a list with only two entries, each of which has 160000 elements. The first list contains all the first members of the original tuples, and the second list the second members. The @@ to the left of Transpose says to Apply to this list a function which is {#1, Thread[f[#2]]} &. It has two formal arguments #1 and #2, corresponding to the two large lists. Only the second argument is modified by Threading your function f over it (i.e., applying it to all the elements of the list #2). The result is two lists, of which only the second differs from the original. By doing another Transpose we get the original tuple structure back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...