Skip to main content

vector calculus - How to make Jacobian automatically in Mathematica


If we have two vectors, $a$ and $b$, how can I make Jacobian matrix automatically in Mathematica?


$$ a=\left( \begin{array}{c} x_1^3+2x_2^2 \\ 3x_1^4+7x_2 \end{array} \right);b=\left( \begin{array}{c} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{array} \right);J=\left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{\partial \left(x_1^3+2x_2^2\right)}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial \left(x_1^3+2x_2^2\right)}{\partial x_2} \\ \frac{\partial \left(3x_1^4+7x_2\right)}{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial \left(3x_1^4+7x_2\right)}{\partial x_2} \end{array} \right); $$



Answer



The easiest way to get the Jacobian is


D[a,{b}]


To get the format of a matrix, you would do MatrixForm[D[f, {x}], or D[f, {x}]//MatrixForm, as the comment by azdahak says.


There is no special matrix type in MMA - it's internally always stored as a list of lists.


Edit


Since this question is partly about the format of the matrix and its elements, I thought it's worth adding a definition that makes calculus output look prettier, and in the case of the Jacobian lets you write symbolic matrices like this:



$\left( \begin{array}{cc} \frac{\partial f_{\text{x}}}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_{\text{x}}}{\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial f_{\text{y}}}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_{\text{y}}}{\partial y} \\ \end{array} \right)$



The definition was initially posted as a comment on the Wolfram Blog:


Derivative /: 

MakeBoxes[Derivative[α__][f1_][vars__Symbol],
TraditionalForm] :=
Module[{bb, dd, sp},
MakeBoxes[dd, _] ^=
If[Length[{α}] == 1, "\[DifferentialD]", "\[PartialD]"];
MakeBoxes[sp, _] ^= "\[ThinSpace]";
bb /: MakeBoxes[bb[x__], _] := RowBox[Map[ToBoxes[#] &, {x}]];
FractionBox[ToBoxes[bb[dd^Plus[α], f1]],
ToBoxes[Apply[bb,
Riffle[Map[bb[dd, #] &,

Select[({vars}^{α}), (# =!= 1 &)]], sp]
]
]
]
]

With this, you can get the above matrix form with traditional partial derivatives like this:


First define the vector components with subscripts as is conventional. To avoid confusion between subscripts and variable names, use strings for the subscripts:


fVector = Array[Subscript[f, {"x", "y"}[[#]]][x, y] &, 2]


Then form the Jacobian and display it in TraditionalForm:


D[fVector, {{x, y}}] // MatrixForm // TraditionalForm

The result is as shown above.


Edit


In this answer to How to make traditional output for derivatives I posted a newer version of the derivative formatting that contains an InterpretationFunction which allows you to evaluate the derivatives despite their condensed displayed form.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...