Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - How to do algebra on unevaluated integrals?


I am working with functions calculated from a set of general basis functions.



f = a[x] + c1*b[x] + c2*c[x];
g = Expand[f*f];
h = Integrate[g, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}];

This much works fine, and I get a nice expression with products of combinations of a[x], b[x], and c[x] in the integrand. But now I need to calculate the values of c1 and c2 that optimize h and the optimal value of h. This fails:


cs = {c1, c2};
s = Solve[{D[h, #] & /@ cs == 0}, cs]
(* Solve::nsmet: This system cannot be solved with the methods available to Solve. >> *)

Is there any hack to make this work?



EVEN better would be if I could get the answer in tidy bracket notation, where for example denotes the definite integral of a[x]*b[x].



Answer



Similar idea to belisarius, except in V10 we can inactivate Integrate to keep it from evaluating or even trying to evaluate:


h = Inactive[Integrate][g, {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

It is not necessary in this example, as belisarius' answer shows, but one of its intended uses is to do algebra/calculus on integrals and derivatives. Inactive can be removed easily with


Activate[h]

The function linearExpand expands its argument according to linearity properties. Factors/terms that do not depend on x are treated as constants (see update below for a more general approach).


Clear[linearExpand];

linearExpand[e_] := e //. {int : Inactive[Integrate][_Plus, _] :> Distribute[int],
Inactive[Integrate][integrand_Times, dom : {x_, _, _}] :>
With[{dependencies = Internal`DependsOnQ[#, x] & /@ List @@ integrand},
Pick[integrand, dependencies, False] *
Inactive[Integrate][Pick[integrand, dependencies, True], dom]
]};

OP's sample problem:


Solve[D[h, #] == 0 & /@ cs // linearExpand, cs]


Mathematica graphics


D[h, #] == 0 & /@ cs // linearExpand

Mathematica graphics




For what it's worth...


...here's a general linearity expander. Considers factors that do not depend on x, which may be a list of symbols, as constants.


linearExpand[e_, x_, head_] := 
e //. {op : head[arg_Plus, __] :> Distribute[op],
head[arg1_Times, rest__] :>

With[{dependencies = Internal`DependsOnQ[#, x] & /@ List @@ arg1},
Pick[arg1, dependencies, False] head[
Pick[arg1, dependencies, True], rest]
]};

Examples:


linearExpand[D[h, #] == 0 & /@ cs, x, Inactive[Integrate]]
(* same as above *)

linearExpand[foo[(a[x] + c b[y]) (2 a[x] - c b[y]) // Expand, randomarg], x, foo]

(* -c^2 b[y]^2 foo[1, randomarg] +
c b[y] foo[a[x], randomarg] +
2 foo[a[x]^2, randomarg] *)

linearExpand[foo[(a[x] + c b[y]) (2 a[x] - c b[y]) // Expand, randomarg], {x, y}, foo]
(* 2 foo[a[x]^2, randomarg] +
c foo[a[x] b[y], randomarg] -
c^2 foo[b[y]^2, randomarg] *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...