Skip to main content

compile - Memory usage of compiled function: C vs WVM


Reported to WRI [CASE:3406803]




Why does generating an array in "C"-compiled function uses 50% more memory than doing same thing in "WVM"-compiled function?


Does this depend on OS or used C compiler?


Simple example:


ClearAll[zeroArrayWVM, zeroArrayC]
zeroArrayWVM =

Compile[{{i, _Integer}}, Table[0, {i}], CompilationTarget -> "WVM"];
zeroArrayC =
Compile[{{i, _Integer}}, Table[0, {i}], CompilationTarget -> "C"];

TableForm[
Table[
{#1, #2, N[#2/#1]} &[
zeroArrayWVM[i] // MaxMemoryUsed,
zeroArrayC[i] // MaxMemoryUsed
],

{i, 10^Range[8]}
],
TableHeadings -> {None, {"WVM", "C", "C/WVM"}}
]


\begin{array}{lll} \text{WVM} & \text{C} & \text{C/WVM} \\ 320 & 512 & 1.6 \\ 1824 & 2768 & 1.51754 \\ 16544 & 24848 & 1.50193 \\ 160240 & 240392 & 1.5002 \\ 1600240 & 2400392 & 1.50002 \\ 16000240 & 24000392 & 1.5 \\ 160000240 & 240000392 & 1.5 \\ 1600000240 & 2400000392 & 1.5 \\ \end{array}



This results were obtained on Linux x86_64 with gcc 4.8.3, if that is relevant. They are the same in Mathematica versions 9.0, 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2.



Answer




As suggested in comment of Simon Woods and comment of halirutan, returning an array from "WVM"-CompiledFunction and from LibraryFunction creates one additional copy of result, while returning from "C"-CompiledFunction creates two additional copies of result.


We can test it by comparing total memory usage of calling functions generating array of zeros with size of this array. We create "C"-CompiledFunction: zeroArrayC, directly. We get "WVM"-CompiledFunction: zeroArrayWVM, by taking all elements of "C"-CompiledFunction except last one. We get LibraryFunction: zeroArrayCLib by taking last element of "C"-CompiledFunction.


zeroArrayC = Compile[{{i, _Integer}}, Table[0, {i}], CompilationTarget -> "C"];
zeroArrayWVM = Most@zeroArrayC;
zeroArrayCLib = Last@zeroArrayC;

TableForm[
Table[
Prepend[
N[(MaxMemoryUsed@#@i& /@ {zeroArrayWVM, zeroArrayC, zeroArrayCLib})/#],

#
]&@ByteCount@ConstantArray[0, i]
,
{i, 2^(5 Range@5)}
],
TableHeadings -> {
None,
{"ByteCount", "WVM/ByteCount", "C/ByteCount", "CLib/ByteCount"}
}
]



\begin{array}{rlll} \text{ByteCount} & \text{WVM/ByteCount} & \text{C/ByteCount} & \text{CLib/ByteCount} \\ 360 & 1.86667 & 2.88889 & 0.844444 \\ 8304 & 2.23892 & 3.36224 & 2.20713 \\ 262288 & 1.99982 & 2.99985 & 1.96465 \\ 8388752 & 1.99999 & 3. & 1.96874 \\ 268435600 & 2. & 3. & 1.96875 \\ \end{array}



If array is created while evaluating function, but is not returned, then no additional copies of array are created:


zeroArrayFirstC = Compile[{{i, _Integer}}, First@Table[0, {i}], CompilationTarget -> "C"];
zeroArrayFirstWVM = Most@zeroArrayFirstC;
zeroArrayFirstCLib = Last@zeroArrayFirstC;

TableForm[

Table[
Prepend[
N[(MaxMemoryUsed@#@i & /@ {zeroArrayFirstWVM, zeroArrayFirstC, zeroArrayFirstCLib})/#],
#
]&@ByteCount@ConstantArray[0, i]
,
{i, 2^(5 Range@5)}
],
TableHeadings -> {
None,

{"ByteCount", "WVM/ByteCount", "C/ByteCount", "CLib/ByteCount"}
}
]


\begin{array}{rlll} \text{ByteCount} & \text{WVM/ByteCount} & \text{C/ByteCount} & \text{CLib/ByteCount} \\ 360 & 0.866667 & 1.15556 & 0.844444 \\ 8304 & 1.11657 & 1.12909 & 1.11561 \\ 262288 & 0.999817 & 1.00021 & 0.999786 \\ 8388752 & 0.999994 & 1.00001 & 0.999993 \\ 268435600 & 1. & 1. & 1. \\ \end{array}



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...