Skip to main content

fitting - Disentangling the data


An experiment yields a functional dependence on two variables $F(x,y)$, can be imagined as a 2D map. It is known that the function can be factored as follows $F(x,y)=fx(x) gy(y) +gx(x) fy(y)$. Given the tabulated $F(x,y)$ I would like to numerically find the four unknown functions $fx$, $fy$, $gx$, $gy$. It is clear that in full generality the problem is ill posed and has no unique solution. There are however several constraints that are known a priori:


i) $fx(x)$, $fy(y)$ are non-zero only on a finite interval


ii) $gy(y)$ has a gaussian profile, $gx(x)$ decay exponentially for $x>0$.


Just to give an example let us use the following definitions:


fx[x_] := 1/(Exp[-x - 7] + 1) + 1/(Exp[x - 7] + 1) - 1

gy[y_] := Exp[-y^2]
fy[y_] := (1/(Exp[-y - 10] + 1) + 1/(Exp[y - 10] + 1) - 1) (5 + 0.5 Sin[y])
gx[x_] := Exp[-0.4 x]/(Exp[-5 x] + 5)
F[x_, y_] := fx[x] gy[y] + gx[x] fy[y]

looking as four graphs


The resulting function has a cross shape


 Plot3D[F[x, y], {x, -15, 15}, {y, -15, 15}, PlotRange -> All, PlotPoints -> {50, 50}]

3dplot



I do not have many ideas how to find $fx,fy,gx,gy$ numerically. I was trying to use a fitting procedure, however, it works like you get what you put in. I am seeking for a more general solution, perhaps with the help of Fourier or wavelet analysis. I would be grateful for any ideas.



Answer



So, you have a function $F(x,y) = f_x(x)g_y(y) + g_x(x)f_y(y)$, and you want to recover $f_x,g_y,g_x,f_y$.


If you've tabulated the values of $F(x,y)$ in a matrix $\mathbf F$ with entries $f_{ij} = F(x_i,y_j)$, then this amounts to decomposing the matrix as $$\mathbf F \approx \mathbf f_x\mathbf g_y^T + \mathbf g_x\mathbf f_y^T,$$ where $\mathbf f_x,\mathbf g_y,\mathbf g_x,\mathbf f_y$ are column vectors with non-negative entries. (I'm using $\approx$ instead of $=$ because your data presumably has some noise in it.) Stick the vectors into two matrices, $\mathbf W = \begin{bmatrix}\mathbf f_x & \mathbf g_x\end{bmatrix}$ and $\mathbf H = \begin{bmatrix}\mathbf g_y^T \\ \mathbf f_y^T\end{bmatrix}$, and you have $$\underbrace{\mathbf F}_{n\times n} \approx \underbrace{\mathbf W}_{n\times2}\underbrace{\mathbf H}_{2\times n}$$ where all three matrices have non-negative entries. This is precisely the problem of non-negative matrix factorization. And look, there's a Mathematica implementation in the open source Mathematica for Prediction project.


Let's try it!


f = Table[F[x, y], {x, -15, 15, 0.1}, {y, -15, 15, 0.1}];
Needs["NonNegativeMatrixFactorization`"];
{w, h} = GDCLS[f, 2];
fx = w[[All, 1]];
gx = w[[All, 2]];

gy = h[[1, All]] // Normal;
fy = h[[2, All]] // Normal;
ListLinePlot[{fx, gx}, PlotRange -> All]
ListLinePlot[{gy, fy}, PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here enter image description here


There's a bit of cross-talk between the components, and the results appear to be a little different every time you run it (maybe because of random initialization), but overall it looks pretty good.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...