Skip to main content

combinatorics - How to apply a permutation to a symmetric square matrix?


Given a symmetric square matrix, how can I apply a permutation to the rows and columns (i.e. the same permutation to both the rows and the columns) such a way that the new structure of the matrix should follow the new row and column order?


Consider an order of rows/columns, according to which the elements of a set are arranged in a matrix:


order = Range[5];
matrix = Table[Subscript[a, i, j], {i, 5}, {j, 5}];
TableForm[matrix, TableHeadings -> {order, order}]

Mathematica graphics


Now take a permutation of the row/column order:



newOrder = RandomSample[order]
(*
==> {1, 4, 5, 2, 3}
*)

FindPermutation finds the appropriate permutation cycle for the new order:


permutation = FindPermutation[order, newOrder]
Permute[order, permutation]
(*
==> Cycles[{{2, 4}, {3, 5}}]

==> {1, 4, 5, 2, 3}
*)

Now the question is: How to easily and elegantly apply the above permutation (preferably in its Cycles form) to the matrix to yield the following one:


Mathematica graphics


Some notes:



  • The matrix is always square and symmetric.

  • Column and head orders are always identical.

  • Bear in mind that order, and consequently matrix, can be big (e.g. 4^8 for order)


  • Since matrix can be big, I'm looking for a method, that applies the permutation 'locally', that is without reconstructing the whole table every time, or without applying replacements/functions enumerating each element, thus no dispatch table should be used. This is rather important, as it could be that the new order only swaps two columns/rows, and nothing else.



Answer



How about:


ord = {1, 4, 5, 2, 3}
matrix[[ord, ord]]

(You can convert any permutation (including Cycles) to an index list using PermutationList.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...