Skip to main content

How to represent and manipulate abstract indexed vector (or tensor) expressions?


I have a couple abstract indexed quantities, both differential elements


$dx = dx^\mu e_\mu + x^\mu de_\mu$


$du = du^\mu e_\mu + u^\mu de_\mu$



I can compute the expression $(dx + du) \cdot (dx + du) - dx \cdot dx$ manually on paper, contracting the products appropriately and taking the differences. However, evaluating that end result for specific parameterizations and basis representations becomes messy (I've done only the 3D Euclidian cartesian and cylindrical coordinate cases).


This seems to be a perfect opportunity for a symbolic computation engine, but I'm having trouble starting. The mathematica book hints that tensor expressions can be represented by lists, but an expression of the above form does not require any specific dimensionality, and can still be symbolically manipulated (on paper).


If I use a list, does that list not have to have specific dimension? For example, I'm guessing that I could use an explicit 3D representation for the upper index coordinates like so:


x = { x1, x2, x3 }
u = { u1, u2, u3 }

then define a metric tensor for the lower index coordinates. I don't know how I'd represent the basis vectors $e_\mu$ in Mathematica though, even if I restricted myself to 3D Euclidean spaces.


Is this sort of computation within the scope of Mathematica, and if so, how does one setup the variables?



Answer



On this wikipedia page you find a collection of Tensor software and Mathematica has the biggest section.



The package Ricci, which username acl pointed out in his answer is there, and I personally have used xAct. It looks like this


http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/211/pic1ni.png


And yes, as you suggest in your question, for smaller computation in specific dimensions you can also work in components directly. For me, this usually looks something like this (only have a screenshot atm.).


http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5023/bild4go.png


Although the expression $de_\mu$ makes me think the package variant is best suited for you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - Filling between two spheres in SphericalPlot3D

Manipulate[ SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], {n, 0, 1}] I cant' seem to be able to make a filling between two spheres. I've already tried the obvious Filling -> {1 -> {2}} but Mathematica doesn't seem to like that option. Is there any easy way around this or ... Answer There is no built-in filling in SphericalPlot3D . One option is to use ParametricPlot3D to draw the surfaces between the two shells: Manipulate[ Show[SphericalPlot3D[{1, 2 - n}, {θ, 0, Pi}, {ϕ, 0, 1.5 Pi}, PlotPoints -> 15, PlotRange -> {-2.2, 2.2}], ParametricPlot3D[{ r {Sin[t] Cos[1.5 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[1.5 Pi], Cos[t]}, r {Sin[t] Cos[0 Pi], Sin[t] Sin[0 Pi], Cos[t]}}, {r, 1, 2 - n}, {t, 0, Pi}, PlotStyle -> Yellow, Mesh -> {2, 15}]], {n, 0, 1}]

plotting - Plot 4D data with color as 4th dimension

I have a list of 4D data (x position, y position, amplitude, wavelength). I want to plot x, y, and amplitude on a 3D plot and have the color of the points correspond to the wavelength. I have seen many examples using functions to define color but my wavelength cannot be expressed by an analytic function. Is there a simple way to do this? Answer Here a another possible way to visualize 4D data: data = Flatten[Table[{x, y, x^2 + y^2, Sin[x - y]}, {x, -Pi, Pi,Pi/10}, {y,-Pi,Pi, Pi/10}], 1]; You can use the function Point along with VertexColors . Now the points are places using the first three elements and the color is determined by the fourth. In this case I used Hue, but you can use whatever you prefer. Graphics3D[ Point[data[[All, 1 ;; 3]], VertexColors -> Hue /@ data[[All, 4]]], Axes -> True, BoxRatios -> {1, 1, 1/GoldenRatio}]

plotting - Mathematica: 3D plot based on combined 2D graphs

I have several sigmoidal fits to 3 different datasets, with mean fit predictions plus the 95% confidence limits (not symmetrical around the mean) and the actual data. I would now like to show these different 2D plots projected in 3D as in but then using proper perspective. In the link here they give some solutions to combine the plots using isometric perspective, but I would like to use proper 3 point perspective. Any thoughts? Also any way to show the mean points per time point for each series plus or minus the standard error on the mean would be cool too, either using points+vertical bars, or using spheres plus tubes. Below are some test data and the fit function I am using. Note that I am working on a logit(proportion) scale and that the final vertical scale is Log10(percentage). (* some test data *) data = Table[Null, {i, 4}]; data[[1]] = {{1, -5.8}, {2, -5.4}, {3, -0.8}, {4, -0.2}, {5, 4.6}, {1, -6.4}, {2, -5.6}, {3, -0.7}, {4, 0.04}, {5, 1.0}, {1, -6.8}, {2, -4.7}, {3, -1.