Skip to main content

Histogram from relative frequency data;


I've got a data set similar to the first and fourth column of this table http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FrequencyDistribution.html where the first column is the midpoint of a fixed range of values (although a solution with arbitrarily spaced segments would be great) and the second column is the corresponding relative frequency of that initial range of values being present.


 A = {{5, 0.0123445}, {15, 0.0342565}, {25, 0.0885784}, {35, 0.184694}, {45, 0.243735}, {55, 0.223433}, {65, 0.111512}, {75, 0.000000}, {85, 0.000000}, {95, 0.1014466}}


I want to plot a histogram/discrete probability distribution. I've found solutions to plotting histograms from pre-binned data https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15117024/histogram-with-frequency-data but this only works on integer values.


My probability data has ~6 significant digits and I would really prefer not to arbitrarily multiply my data by 10^6 to plot it then adjust the plot labels to divide by 10^6.


Am I trying to force a function to do something it's not designed to do, is there a better way of going about this?


Thanks!



Answer



Alternatively, you could use WeightedData.


a = {{5, 0.0123445}, {15, 0.0342565}, {25, 0.0885784}, {35, 
0.184694}, {45, 0.243735}, {55, 0.223433}, {65, 0.111512}, {75,
0.000000}, {85, 0.000000}, {95, 0.1014466}};


Histogram[WeightedData @@ Transpose[a], Length[a]]

enter image description here


You might also consider using DiscretePlot with an EmpiricalDistribution.


dist = EmpiricalDistribution[WeightedData @@ Transpose[a]]

DiscretePlot[PDF[dist, x], {x, a[[All, 1]]}, ExtentSize -> Full]

enter image description here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...