Skip to main content

kernel - How can I evaluate untrusted Mathematica code in a sandbox?


Is there any way to build a sandbox to evaluate untrusted Mathematica expressions in order to prevent them from having (malicious or accidental) harmful side effects?


Context: I'm developing a system wherein students will enter code into designated notebook cells, and my package will extract the code, evaluate it, and offer feedback. The problem is, even if I evaluate their code within a separate context (and I'm having trouble making that happen), they could still use explicit contexts to affect a different context, invoke Quit, or use filesystem manipulation functions to mess with my computer.



It seems to me that there are two aspects to this problem: isolating execution of their code from everything else the kernel is doing (like running my package), and isolating their code from everything on my computer external to Mathematica. The first might be accomplished by using a separate kernel (somehow), but I have no ideas for the second.


Wolfram must have addressed this problem while developing WebMathematica, right?



Answer



You should consider using the sandbox functionality. You can create a subkernel and put it in sandbox mode this way:


link = LinkLaunch[First[$CommandLine]<> " -wstp -noicon"];
LinkWrite[link, Unevaluated@EvaluatePacket[Developer`StartProtectedMode[]]];

You can then interact with this subkernel using the standard LinkWrite and LinkRead functions. If you don't mind your master kernel being sandboxed, you can even just evaluate Developer`StartProtectedMode[] there, but it disables a lot of functionality (mostly import/export and file system manipulation).


Note that sandbox mode also will only allow you to load .m/.wl files from very specific directories. You can set this in the call itself as well:


Developer`StartProtectedMode[{"Read" -> {$myPath}, "Write" -> {$myPath}, "Execute" -> {$myPath}}]


where $myPath is the path to where you store the code you wish to interact with.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?