Skip to main content

map - Span a function across several consecutive elements in a list


Suppose that I have a list called list. I would like to span an arbitrary function f across specified consecutive elements in list.


Here is an example. Suppose the following:


list = {10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70};

I would like to obtain the following new lists:


{f[{10, 20, 30, 40}], 50, 60, 70}
{10, f[{20, 30, 40, 50}], 60, 70}
{10, 20, 30, 40, f[{50, 60, 70}]}


Is there a simple (perhaps even built-in) way to accomplish this in Mathematica 8? I have come up with the following function spanMap, but my method seems very complicated and clunky:


spanMap[function_, list_List, begin_Integer, end_Integer] := 
Module[{result},
If[begin == 1,
If[end == Length[list], result = list;];
If[begin < end < Length[list],
result =
Flatten[{function[list[[begin ;; end]]],
list[[(end + 1) ;;]]}];];
];


If[begin > 1,
If[end == Length[list],
result =
Flatten[{list[[1 ;; (begin - 1)]],
function[list[[begin ;; end]]]}];];
If[begin < end < Length[list],
result =
Flatten[{list[[1 ;; (begin - 1)]],
function[list[[begin ;; end]]], list[[(end + 1) ;;]]}];];

];

result
]

where


spanMap[f, list, 1, 4]
spanMap[f, list, 2, 5]
spanMap[f, list, 5, 7]


yield the desired results:


{f[{10, 20, 30, 40}], 50, 60, 70}
{10, f[{20, 30, 40, 50}], 60, 70}
{10, 20, 30, 40, f[{50, 60, 70}]}

albeit in a complicated, clunky way.



Answer



This is a good example where Internal`PartitionRagged (IPR) can be used very effectively. First, observe the following:


list = {10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70};


(* 3 continuous elements in the middle *)
Internal`PartitionRagged[list, {2, 3, 2}]
(* {{10, 20}, {30, 40, 50}, {60, 70}} *)

(* 3 continuous elements from the start *)
Internal`PartitionRagged[list, {0, 3, 4}]
(* {{}, {10, 20, 30}, {40, 50, 60, 70}} *)

(* 3 continuous elements at the end *)
Internal`PartitionRagged[list, {4, 3, 0}]

(* {{10, 20, 30, 40}, {50, 60, 70}, {}} *)

You see that for a "continuous span", you can always partition the list into 3 parts as {initial, continuous span, final} by properly choosing the arguments to IPR. This means that you simply need to MapAt your function f onto the second element of the partitioned list and then flatten it.


The function you want can be written as:


spanMap[f_, list_, {start_, end_}] := MapAt[
f, Internal`PartitionRagged[list, {start - 1, end - start + 1, Length@list - end}], {2}
] ~Flatten~ 1

which is pretty clean and intuitive, IMO. Try it out!


spanMap[f, list, {1, 4}]

spanMap[f, list, {2, 5}]
spanMap[f, list, {5, 7}]

(* {f[{10, 20, 30, 40}], 50, 60, 70}
{10, f[{20, 30, 40, 50}], 60, 70}
{10, 20, 30, 40, f[{50, 60, 70}]} *)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?