Skip to main content

graphs and networks - Combinatorica: Girth[] and FindCycle[] disagreement



Warning: run the following code in a fresh Mma session, as some symbols could be shadowed (depending on your Mma version)


While trying to answer this question, I fell into the following:


 (* Let's load a large Directed Graph and convert it to Combinatorica *)
g = Graph@Union@Flatten[
Thread[DirectedEdge @@ ##] & /@ Select[{#, IsotopeData[#, "DaughterNuclides"]} & /@
IsotopeData[], #[[2]] != {} &]];
Needs["GraphUtilities`"]
<< Combinatorica`
cg = ToCombinatoricaGraph[g];



Girth[cg] gives the length of a shortest cycle in a simple graph g.



So, let's check if cg is Simple and calculate its Girth:


{SimpleQ@cg, Girth@cg}
(*
-> {True, 3}
*)

So there is at least one Cycle in cg of length 3.



But look what happens when we try to find it by the two available methods in Combinatorica:


{ExtractCycles@cg, FindCycle@cg}
(*
-> {{},{}}
*)

So, two questions:



  1. Is this a bug?

  2. What is the easiest way to find all cycles in g without using Combinatorica?



Edit


BTW, the (now) standard Graph functionality also detects cycles:


AcyclicGraphQ[g]
(* -> False *)

Answer



I don't think it's a bug. Directed radioactive decay graphs shouldn't have cycles by definition and AcyclicGraphQ doesn't see them either:


AcyclicGraphQ@g



True



You don't seem to have heeded your own warning to start with a fresh kernel, as playing around with the code for a while gave me False too.


The output of ExtractCycles and FindCycle is therefore correct.


Girth doesn't seem to take directionality into account when determining cycles:


Cyclic directed graph:


Girth@ ToCombinatoricaGraph@
System`Graph[{1 \[DirectedEdge] 2, 2 \[DirectedEdge] 3, 3 \[DirectedEdge] 1}]



3



Acyclic directed graph (note the reversed direction of the last edge):


Girth@ToCombinatoricaGraph@
System`Graph[{1 \[DirectedEdge] 2, 2 \[DirectedEdge] 3, 1 \[DirectedEdge] 3}]


3



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...