Skip to main content

list manipulation - How to punch a hole in some 3D distribution of points


Suppose we have a long list of 3D Cartesian coordinates, defining a distribution of random points in 3D space. How could we remove all the points inside a sphere of radius sphereRadius located at coordinates sphereLocation = {X, Y, Z}?


This Boolean subtraction is probably trivial, but I didn't found any useful info on how to do it with Mathematica 7.0. Maybe it isn't trivial, after all.





Generalisation : How can we do the same with an arbitrary closed surface, instead of a sphere, if the hole is defined as a deformed sphere ?


holeLocation = {X, Y, Z};
hole[theta_, phi_] = holeLocation +
radius[theta, phi] {Sin[theta]Cos[phi], Sin[theta]Sin[phi], Cos[theta]};

where theta and phi are the usual spherical coordinates.



Answer



Using my solution to a similar question asked on StackOverflow some time ago,


Pick[dalist,UnitStep[criticalRadius^2-Total[(Transpose[dalist]-frameCenter)^2]],0]


which is for any number of (Euclidean) dimensions and should be quite fast.


EDIT


Ok, here is a generalization of the vectorized approach I proposed:


ClearAll[cutHole];
cutHole[relativeData_, holdRadiusF_] :=
Module[{r, theta, phi, x, y, z},
{x, y, z} = Transpose[relativeData];
r = Sqrt[Total[relativeData^2, {2}]];
theta = ArcCos[z/r];

phi = ArcTan[x,y];
Pick[relativeData, UnitStep[r - holdRadiusF[theta, phi]], 1]];

Here is an illustration:


data = RandomReal[6, {10^6, 3}];
holeLoc = {3, 3, 3};
relativeData = Transpose[ Transpose[data] - holeLoc];

Define some particular shape of the hole:


holeRad[theta_, phi_] := 1 + 4 Sqrt[Abs[Cos[theta]]]


Pick the points:


kept =cutHole[relativeData,holeRad];//AbsoluteTiming

(* {0.631836,Null} *)

Visualize:


Show[{
ListPointPlot3D[Cases[kept, {_, _, _?Positive}]],
SphericalPlot3D[

holeRad[\[Theta], \[Phi]], {\[Theta], Pi/4, Pi/2}, {\[Phi], 0, 2 Pi},
PlotStyle -> Directive[Orange, Specularity[White, 10]], Mesh -> None]}]

enter image description here


The main point here is that the filtering function is vectorized and therefore quite fast.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...