Skip to main content

linear algebra - The algebraic solution and numerical solutions for eigenvectors are different. Why?



I find that the algebraic solution for the Eigenvectors of a 3x3 matrix is not correct when compared to the numerical solution. I don't see why ?


Clear[a, b, c, d, q, z]  
q = {{-a, b, 0},{a, -b - c, d},{0, c, -d}};
z = Eigenvectors[q];
a = 2;
b = 0.1;
c = 3;
d = 1;
MatrixForm[z]
MatrixForm[Eigenvectors[q]]


Answer



There are several reasons. As jkuczm pointed out, symbolic eigenvectors are not normalized. Why? Simply because normalizing them symbolically would render the output unreadible while it would not provide any new information. This is the first reason.


The second one is the ordering of the eigenvectors. For numerical input, the eigenvectors are ordered such that their corresponding eigenvalues are ordered by their modulus in decending order. In general, it is not feasible to order symbolic eigenvalues by their modulus: It is just to complicated or it may be impossible without further knowledge about the occuring symbols.


The third reason is that there is no canonical direction for eigenvectors; even algorithms that return normalized eigenvectors may differ in the way of "distributing signs".


This all reflects that results returned by Eigenvectors represents certain vector spaces. If your input matrix has multiple eigenvalues then the respective eigenspaces have dimensions greater than one. In that case, there is no way at all to standardize the result and the best you can expect is to obtain just any basis for each eigenspace.


In your particular example, you can normalize and order your result by the following


Clear[a, b, c, d, q, z]
q = {{-a, b, 0}, {a, -b - c, d}, {0, c, -d}};
z = Eigenvectors[q];
\[Lambda] = Eigenvalues[q];

a = 2;
b = 0.1;
c = 3;
d = 1;
MatrixForm[Map[Normalize, z][[Ordering[-Abs[\[Lambda]]]]]]
MatrixForm[Eigenvectors[q]]

But as you can see, the eigenbases may still differ by sign.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...