Skip to main content

symbolic - Variable name string to expression


I'm not sure how to name this problem appropriately. But anyway.


I have, say, three variables (arrays in my case), which I call:


A1, A2, A3


I would like to perform a certain operation on all of these arrays. Obviously I don't want to duplicate the code. What I figured is the following:


For[id = 1, id <= 3,
INPUT = ToExpression["A" <> ToString[id]];
INPUT = Table[{INPUT[[j, 1]], 10^4*INPUT[[j, 2]]}, {j, 1, Length[INPUT]}];
id += 1;
];

This unfortunately does NOT work.


It's just an example. But the big question is how to handle names of variables in "such" cases? Any help greatly appreciated.




Answer



Here is one approach to solving your problem. I do not consider the part of your problem that asks how to generate a list of varialbe names, as that is well covered in links to previous questions already provided in comments made to your question.


Define a function that will perfom your operation on one matrix.


myOperation[m : {{_, _} ..}] := 
ReplacePart[m, {i_, 2} :> 10^4 m[[i, 2]]]

To apply the operation to the matrices, use Map.


Map[myOperation, {a, b, c}]

This can also be written



myOperation[#] & /@ {a, b, c}

Testing


To test this solution to problem, make some data.


make[] := RandomInteger[20, {4, 2}]
{a, b, c} = {make[], make[], make[]};


{{{6, 11}, {9, 16}, {13, 4}, {5, 13}},
{{17, 14}, {11, 12}, {4, 3}, {12, 0}},

{{19, 0}, {11, 5}, {11, 20}, {1, 1}}}



First test is to try myOperation with one matrix.


myOperation[a]


{{6, 110000}, {9, 160000}, {13, 40000}, {5, 130000}}



Second test is to try it with all three.


Map[myOperation, {a, b, c}]




{{{6, 110000}, {9, 160000}, {13, 40000}, {5, 130000}},
{{17, 140000}, {11, 120000}, {4, 30000}, {12, 0}},
{{19, 0}, {11, 50000}, {11, 200000}, {1, 10000}}}



If you want the orginal variables to have the new values, you can do


{a, b, c} = %;


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...