Skip to main content

graphics - Equidistant points on a polyline


Set of 2D-points connected by a polyline B-spline function:


p = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {20, 2}];
f = BSplineFunction[p,
SplineDegree -> 1,
SplineClosed -> True];


This is neatly defined polyline function. However, as the spline parameter goes from 0 to 1 with some constant step, calculated points are somewhere denser than at other regions. (I can see the density decreases with distance between points.)


Graphics[{
Point[p], Opacity[.2],
Point[f /@ Range[0, 1, .001]]}]

enter image description here


Me I need a function that returns equidistant points for equidistant parameter values.


Graphics[{
Point[p], Opacity[.2],

Point[g /@ Range[0, 1, .001]]}]

enter image description here


Where g I constructed like this:


g[t_] := Evaluate[
With[{u = With[{
d = EuclideanDistance @@@ Partition[p, 2, 1, 1]},
Accumulate[d]/Total[d]]},
Piecewise[Table[{
p[[i]] + (t - If[i > 1, u[[i - 1]], 0])/

(u[[i]] - If[i > 1, u[[i - 1]], 0])*
(p[[If[i != Length@p, i + 1, 1]]] - p[[i]]),
t <= u[[i]]}, {i, Length@p}]]]]

This can be made more elegantly, right, with Mathematica? With some option that samples equidistant points? Because say I have some smooth curve function. I don't know how I would tackle this then. I guess one would have to integrate and findroot some.



Answer



p = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {5, 2}]; 
f = BSplineFunction[p, SplineDegree -> 1, SplineClosed -> True];

A very simple approach:



np[u_, dt_] := u + dt/ Norm[D[f[t], t]] /. t -> u;
ListPlot[Table[f[t], {t, NestWhileList[np[#, .03] &, 0, # < 1 &]}], AspectRatio -> 1]

Mathematica graphics


Testing that the points are equidistant:


ListLinePlot[EuclideanDistance @@@ 
Partition[Table[f[t], {t, NestWhileList[np[#, .03] &, 0, # < 1 &]}], 2, 1],
AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Mathematica graphics



The only small exceptions are at the original points, as expected.


Edit


For a higher degree interpolation:


p = RandomReal[{-1, 1}, {7, 2}];
f = BSplineFunction[p, SplineDegree -> 5, SplineClosed -> True];
GraphicsRow@{
ListPlot[Table[f[t], {t, NestWhileList[np[#, .003] &, 0, # < 1 &]}], AspectRatio -> 1],
ListLinePlot[EuclideanDistance @@@
Partition[Table[f[t], {t, NestWhileList[np[#, .003] &, 0, # < 1 &]}], 2, 1],
AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}, PlotRange -> All]}


Mathematica graphics


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...