Skip to main content

.netlink - Formatting Excel Borders with .Net


I have various tables generated in a Mathematica application and need to export this to MSExcel formatted in a specific way.


The Excel formatting has to be generated by Mathematica. I am not familiar with .Net (or .NetLink), but after searching, found this very useful code by Chris Degnan.


Needs["NETLink`"]

PutIntoExcel[data_List, cell_String, file_String] :=
Module[{rows, cols, excel, workbook, worksheet, srcRange},
{rows, cols} = Dimensions[data];
NetBlock[
InstallNET[];
excel = CreateCOMObject["Excel.Application"];
If[! NETObjectQ[excel], Return[$Failed],
excel[Visible] = True;
workbook = excel@Workbooks@Add[];
worksheet = workbook@Worksheets@Item[1];

srcRange = worksheet@Range[cell]@Resize[rows, cols];
srcRange@Value = data;
srcRange@Interior@Color = 13959039;
(* OLE colours from http://www.endprod.com/colors/ *)
worksheet@Range["E5:F5"]@Font@Bold = True;
worksheet@Range["E5:F5"]@Interior@Color = 61166;
worksheet@Range["E6:E9"]@Font@Color = 255;
(* Reset the numeric values to get the correct type *)
worksheet@Range["E6:E9"]@Value = Rest[data[[All, 1]]];
workbook@SaveAs[file];

workbook@Close[False];
excel@Quit[];
]];
LoadNETType["System.GC"];
GC`Collect[]];

data = {{"Year", "Cartoon"}, {1928, "Mickey Mouse"}, {1934,
"Donald Duck"}, {1940, "Bugs Bunny"}, {1949, "Road Runner"}};
outputfile = "C:\\Temp\\demo.xlsx";
Quiet[DeleteFile[outputfile]];

PutIntoExcel[data, "E5", outputfile];

Print[Panel[TableForm[data, TableSpacing -> {2, 4}]]];

This explains in detail how to format colours, but I run into problems with borders.


This code does work:


worksheet@Range["B3:C4"]@Borders@Color = 255;

However, specifying specific parts of the border does not:


worksheet@Range["B3:C4"]@Borders[xlDiagonalDown]@Color = 255;


and I get this error:



NET::nocomprop: No property named xlDiagonalDown exists for the given COM object.



Specifying the weight of the line like this:


worksheet@Range["B3:C4"]@Borders@Weight = xlThick;

gives a different error:




NET::methodargs: Improper arguments supplied for method named Weight.



Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?


Then after exporting a fancy formatted table to Excel, I need to export an Excel formula into the formatted cells, to enable the Excel user to modify and play with their own input data.



Answer



Excel VBA enumeration values cannot be accessed symbolically through COM. We must use the corresponding numeric values found by consulting the Microsoft Excel object model enumeration reference.


The relevant enumerations in this case are XlBordersIndex (xlDiagonalDown = 5) and XlBorderWeight (xlThick = 4).


Once we know the enumeration values, the code is straight-forward:


xlDiagonalDown = 5;
xlThick = 4;

borders = range@Borders@Item[xlDiagonalDown];
borders@Weight = xlThick;

Side Note: Complications


Take note of the use of Item in the Borders@Item[xlDiagonalDown] expression. If we wrote simply Borders[xlDiagonalDown], we would get an error message complaining that there is no such property. The reason is that Mathematica models COM properties using definitions that hold their arguments. Borders is a property, so a direct argument of xlDiagonalDown remains unevaluated and is interpreted as a (non-existent) subproperty name. Borders@Item, on the other hand, is a method. Method arguments are not held, so xlDiagonalDown gets evaluated to its numeric value. It is possible to use the Borders property directly, albeit in ugly fashion:


With[{dd = xlDiagonalDown}, borders = range@Borders[dd]]
(* or *)
borders = range@Borders[#] &@ xlDiagonalDown
(* or *)
borders = range@Borders[5]


Complete Example


Here is a complete example, using Item:


Needs["NETLink`"];
InstallNET[];
LoadNETType["System.GC"];

$outputFile = "C:\\Temp\\demo.xlsx";
Quiet @ DeleteFile @ $outputFile;


NETBlock @ Module[{xl, book, sheet, range, borders, xlDiagonalDown, xlThick}
, xlDiagonalDown = 5
; xlThick = 4
; xl = CreateCOMObject["Excel.Application"]
; book = xl@Workbooks@Add[]
; sheet = book@Worksheets@Item[1];
; range = sheet@Range["B2:G6"]
; borders = range@Borders@Item[xlDiagonalDown]
; borders@Color = 255
; borders@Weight = xlThick

; book@SaveAs[$outputFile]
; book@Close[]
; xl@Quit[]
]

GC`Collect[];

SystemOpen @ $outputFile
(* DeleteFile @ $outputFile *)


excel screenshot showing diagonal borders


Formulas


Formulas can be written into spreadsheet cells using the Range.Formula property. Such formulas must be expressed in Excel syntax. Here is an example with a formula that uses relative cell references and computes the Fibonacci sequence:


NETBlock @ Module[{xl, book, sheet}
, xl = CreateCOMObject["Excel.Application"]
; book = xl@Workbooks@Add[]
; sheet = book@Worksheets@Item[1];
; sheet@Range["A1:A2"]@Formula = 1
; sheet@Range["A3:A20"]@Formula = "=A1+A2"
; book@SaveAs[$outputFile]

; book@Close[]
; xl@Quit[]
]

GC`Collect[];

SystemOpen @ $outputFile
(* DeleteFile @ $outputFile *)

screenshot showing Excel formulas



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...