Skip to main content

plotting - xkcd-style Plots


xkcd 1064


I received an email to which I wanted to respond with a xkcd-style graph, but I couldn't manage it. Everything I drew looked perfect, and I don't have enough command over PlotLegends to have these pieces of text floating around. Any tips on how one can create xkcd-style graphs? Where things look hand-drawn and imprecise. I guess drawing weird curves must be especially hard in Mathematica.


EDIT:


FWIW, this is sort of what I wanted to create. I used Simon Woods's xkcdconvert. By "answers" in this plot, I of course don't mean those given by experts to well-defined problems at places like here, but those offered by friends and family to real-life problems.


my plot



Answer



The code below attempts to apply the XKCD style to a variety of plots and charts. The idea is to first apply cartoon-like styles to the graphics objects (thick lines, silly font etc), and then to apply a distortion using image processing.


The final function is xkcdConvert which is simply applied to a standard plot or chart.


The font style and size are set by xkcdStyle which can be changed to your preference. I've used the dreaded Comic Sans font, as the text will get distorted along with everything else and I thought that starting with the Humor Sans font might lead to unreadable text.



The function xkcdLabel is provided to allow labelling of plot lines using a little callout. The usage is xkcdLabel[{str,{x1,y1},{xo,yo}] where str is the label (e.g. a string), {x1,y1} is the position of the callout line and {xo,yo} is the offset determining the relative position of the label. The first example demonstrates its usage.


xkcdStyle = {FontFamily -> "Comic Sans MS", 16};

xkcdLabel[{str_, {x1_, y1_}, {xo_, yo_}}] := Module[{x2, y2},
x2 = x1 + xo; y2 = y1 + yo;
{Inset[
Style[str, xkcdStyle], {x2, y2}, {1.2 Sign[x1 - x2],
Sign[y1 - y2] Boole[x1 == x2]}], Thick,
BezierCurve[{{0.9 x1 + 0.1 x2, 0.9 y1 + 0.1 y2}, {x1, y2}, {x2, y2}}]}];


xkcdRules = {EdgeForm[ef:Except[None]] :> EdgeForm[Flatten@{ef, Thick, Black}],
Style[x_, st_] :> Style[x, xkcdStyle],
Pane[s_String] :> Pane[Style[s, xkcdStyle]],
{h_Hue, l_Line} :> {Thickness[0.02], White, l, Thick, h, l},
Grid[{{g_Graphics, s_String}}] :> Grid[{{g, Style[s, xkcdStyle]}}],
Rule[PlotLabel, lab_] :> Rule[PlotLabel, Style[lab, xkcdStyle]]};

xkcdShow[p_] := Show[p, AxesStyle -> Thick, LabelStyle -> xkcdStyle] /. xkcdRules

xkcdShow[Labeled[p_, rest__]] :=

Labeled[Show[p, AxesStyle -> Thick, LabelStyle -> xkcdStyle], rest] /. xkcdRules

xkcdDistort[p_] := Module[{r, ix, iy},
r = ImagePad[Rasterize@p, 10, Padding -> White];
{ix, iy} =
Table[RandomImage[{-1, 1}, ImageDimensions@r]~ImageConvolve~
GaussianMatrix[10], {2}];
ImagePad[ImageTransformation[r,
# + 15 {ImageValue[ix, #], ImageValue[iy, #]} &, DataRange -> Full], -5]];


xkcdConvert[x_] := xkcdDistort[xkcdShow[x]]

Version 7 users will need to use this code for xkcdDistort:


xkcdDistort[p_] := 
Module[{r, id, ix, iy, samplepoints, funcs, channels},
r = ImagePad[Rasterize@p, 10, Padding -> White];
id = Reverse@ImageDimensions[r];
{ix, iy} = Table[ListInterpolation[ImageData[
Image@RandomReal[{-1, 1}, id]~ImageConvolve~GaussianMatrix[10]]], {2}];
samplepoints = Table[{x + 15 ix[x, y], y + 15 iy[x, y]}, {x, id[[1]]}, {y, id[[2]]}];

funcs = ListInterpolation[ImageData@#] & /@ ColorSeparate[r];
channels = Apply[#, samplepoints, {2}] & /@ funcs;
ImagePad[ColorCombine[Image /@ channels], -10]]

Examples


Standard Plot including xkcdLabel as an Epilog:


f1[x_] := 5 + 50 (1 + Erf[x - 5]);
f2[x_] := 20 + 30 (1 - Erf[x - 5]);
xkcdConvert[Plot[{f1[x], f2[x]}, {x, 0, 10},
Epilog ->

xkcdLabel /@ {{"Label 1", {1, f1[1]}, {1, 30}}, {"Label 2", {8, f2[8]}, {0, 30}}},
Ticks -> {{{3.5, "1st Event"}, {7, "2nd Event"}}, Automatic}]]

enter image description here


BarChart with either labels or legends:


xkcdConvert[BarChart[{10, 1}, ChartLabels -> {"XKCD", "Others"},
PlotLabel -> "Popularity of questions on MMA.SE",
Ticks -> {None, {{1, "Min"}, {10, "Max"}}}]]

enter image description here



xkcdConvert[BarChart[{1, 10}, ChartLegends -> {"Others", "XKCD"},
PlotLabel -> "Popularity of questions on MMA.SE",
ChartStyle -> {Red, Green}]]

enter image description here


Pie chart:


xkcdConvert[PieChart[{9, 1}, ChartLabels -> {"XKCD", "Others"},
PlotLabel -> "Popularity of questions on MMA.SE"]]

enter image description here



ListPlot:


xkcdConvert[
ListLinePlot[RandomInteger[10, 15], PlotMarkers -> Automatic]]

enter image description here


3D plots:


xkcdConvert[BarChart3D[{3, 2, 1}, ChartStyle -> Red, FaceGrids -> None,
Method -> {"Canvas" -> None}, ViewPoint -> {-2, -4, 1},
PlotLabel -> "This is just silly"]]


enter image description here


xkcdConvert[
Plot3D[Exp[-10 (x^2 + y^2)^4], {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1},
MeshStyle -> Thick,
Boxed -> False, Lighting -> {{"Ambient", White}},
PlotLabel -> Framed@"This plot is not\nparticularly useful"]]

enter image description here


It should also work for various other plotting functions like ParametricPlot, LogPlot and so on.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...