Skip to main content

stylesheet - Forcing the front end to update style definitions


tl;dr


I need a way to apply style edits in stylesheets, even when I can't use cmd+Shift+E


ntl;wr


A while back I wrote a suite of stylesheet editing tools to automate operations I did in batch, which basically just finds all Cell[StyleData[style],___] cells. The tools work great, except for when I need to apply the edits I've performed.


For example, try this:



new = CreateDocument[Cell[BoxData@"input", "Input"],
System`ClosingSaveDialog -> False];
SetOptions[new,
StyleDefinitions ->
Notebook[{
Cell[StyleData[StyleDefinitions -> "Default.nb"]],
Cell[StyleData["Input"]],
Cell[BoxData@ToBoxes@Unevaluated@
SetOptions[Cells[][[2]],
Background -> LightBlue

],
"Input",
InitializationCell -> True],
Cell[BoxData@ToBoxes@Unevaluated[
SelectionMove[
Cells[][[2]],
All,
Cell
];
FrontEndTokenExecute@"ToggleShowExpression";

FrontEndTokenExecute@"ToggleShowExpression";
],
"Input"]
},
StyleDefinitions -> "PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"]
];
FrontEndTokenExecute[new, "EditStyleDefinitions"];
FrontEndTokenExecute["EvaluateInitialization"]

It'll apply the styling with SetOptions but doesn't update.



I can force updating using the "ToggleShowExpression" calls in the second input cell there, but that only works if I can actually move to the cell.


Usually I'm building styles in a notebook, so I can, but sometimes this doesn't work. Case in point, I've recently been playing with the hidden style notebooks that Mathematica opens to track style changes. E.g.


$DefaultStyleNotebook :=

SelectFirst[FrontEndExecute@FrontEnd`ObjectChildren[$FrontEnd],
Quiet@NotebookFileName@# ===

FileNameJoin@{$InstallationDirectory,
"SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", "StyleSheets", "Default.nb"} &
]


That's the (usually hidden) notebook that sets all the default styles. Now I can set its properties using StylesheetEdit[style, ops], but the changes can't be applied because I can't use "ToggleShowExpression".


I've looked through many of the front-end packets, but can't find where whatever "cascade-update" type functionality the front end uses to apply these updates is hidden.


Can anyone help me out? Note that the real dream would be something that I can just evaluate in the kernel, but which preserves the CellObject. (i.e. no rewriting with NotebookWrite)


Example


As an example this is the sort of syntax I'm using:


SSEdit["Input", True,
FontColor -> Red
]


where the True just means create a new Cell with StyleData["Input",...] if it doesn't exist in the style definitions notebook.


After application this is what we see:


apply


And then we revert it like this:


SSEdit["Input", True,
FontColor -> Inherited
]

Which we can see does indeed revert the change:


revert



But here's the annoying code I have to use to get those changes to apply:


SSApplyEdits[cells : {__CellObject}] :=     
With[{e = EvaluationCell[]},
Do[
SelectionMove[c, All, Cell,
AutoScroll -> False];
FrontEndTokenExecute[ParentNotebook@c,"ToggleShowExpression"];
FrontEndTokenExecute[ParentNotebook@c,"ToggleShowExpression"];,
{c, cells}
];

SelectionMove[e, After, Cell]
];

Answer



Updating the style definition cascade after in-memory modification of a stylesheet using SetOptions


I've found that simple (and invalid) FrontEndExecute@ExportPacket[] doesn't work for this purpose but a valid ExportPacket works:


FrontEndExecute@ExportPacket[Notebook[{Cell[""]}], "BoundingBox"]; // AbsoluteTiming


{0.0135368, Null}


(instead of "BoundingBox" one can request "InputText" or "PlainText" what appears to be slightly faster).


How I tested this. First, I find the cell defining the "Input" style:


input = Select[Cells[$DefaultStyleNotebook], 
First@NotebookRead[#] === StyleData["Input"] &][[1]];

Then I apply SetOptions on it:


SetOptions[input, {FontSize -> 16}]

Nothing is changed visually. Now after evaluating


FrontEndExecute@ExportPacket[Notebook[{Cell[""]}], "BoundingBox"];


The font size of the input cells changes...




Update: additional methods


It is sufficient just to create an invisible Notebook and immediately close it for forcing the style definitions cascade to update:


NotebookClose[CreateNotebook[Visible -> False]] // AbsoluteTiming


{0.0696042, Null}


Toggling dynamic updating twice also works (and for a stylesheet it should be safe since it shouldn't contain Dynamic elements)


Do[FrontEndExecute[
FrontEndToken[$DefaultStyleNotebook, "ToggleDynamicUpdating"]], {2}] // AbsoluteTiming


{0.0126106, Null}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...