Skip to main content

numerics - Numerically solving a transcendental equation as a series


Given a transcendental equation $f(x,y)=0$, is there a way for Mathematica to automatically solve the equation as a series? I already know that I can use


NSolve[f(x,y)==0,y]

if I substitute a value for $x$. However, what I'm specifically wondering is if Mathematica can output something that looks like:


$$y=c_0+c_1x+c_2x^2+\cdots$$


or


$$y=c_0+c_1x^{-1}+c_2x^{-2}+\cdots$$


where $c_i$ is a numerical constant.



Answer




Possibly, expand f to first order in y


Series[f[x, y], {y, y0, 1}] // Normal;
(Solve[(% /. y - y0 -> z) == 0, z] /. z -> y - y0)[[1, 1]]
(* y - y0 -> -(f[x, y0]/Derivative[0, 1][f][x, y0]) *)

Then, the right side of the last expression can be expanded in x to the desired power. For instance,


Series[%[[2]], {x, x0, 2}] // Normal
(* -(f[x0, y0]/Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]) +
((x - x0)*(-(Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]*Derivative[1, 0][f][x0, y0]) +
f[x0, y0]*Derivative[1, 1][f][x0, y0]))/Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]^2 +

((x - x0)^2*(2*Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]*Derivative[1, 0][f][x0, y0]*
Derivative[1, 1][f][x0, y0] - 2*f[x0, y0]*Derivative[1, 1][f][x0, y0]^2 -
Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]^2*Derivative[2, 0][f][x0, y0] +
f[x0, y0]*Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]*Derivative[2, 1][f][x0, y0]))/
(2*Derivative[0, 1][f][x0, y0]^3) *)

yielding a power series, here to third order, in x - x0.


Incidentally, an illustration of the approach is given in my answer to question 94663.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...