Skip to main content

How to generate a chirped signal


As there is no ChirpSignal function in Mathematica, can anyone tell me how to write a custom function to generate a sinusoid with a frequency that changes continuously from frequency f1 to f2 over a certain time of t?


This is what I done to generate the chirp:


{freq0, freqs, TrBandw, RCbandw, pulseLength, dt} = 
{9 10^6, {10 10^6, 20 10^6}, 4, 10^6, 5 10^5, 2.67 10^-6, 1 10^-8};


i = 0;
nfreqs = Length@freqs;
n = Ceiling[pulseLength/dt];

fmin = freqs[[1]] - RCbandw/2;
fmax = freqs[[-1]] + RCbandw/2;

nextend = n*nfreqs;
w = 2 Pi (fmin + Range[0, nextend - 1] (fmax - fmin)/(nextend - 1));


Phi =
PadRight[
Accumulate[Insert[Table[w[[i]] dt, {i, 2, n*nfreqs}], 0, 1]],
IntegerPart[((nfreqs + 1) pulseLength)/dt],
0];

s = Sin[Phi];

enter image description here


At the end, I need to filter the chirp with a Butterworth (or any other filter) to remove frequencies that do not fit in the span of [cutoff1, cutoff2]



cut1 = (freq0 - 0.5 TrBandw)/(1/dt/2)
cut2 = (freq0 + 0.5 TrBandw)/(1/dt/2)

cut1 = 0.14 Hz
cut2 = 0.22 Hz

The final result looks something like this in matlab


enter image description here


Most part of my problem lies in the filtering. So, instead of my code for the chirp, I can use the simpler approach suggested. Still, it would be great to have help with the filtering part, too.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...