Skip to main content

associations - Create Nested List from tabular data


Im trying to create a nested list from tabular data, then onward into a nested association. I can get part way with the help of this answer but it only works for the first level. Repeated use of this approach doesn't seem to work.


list=  {{"Category", "Detail", "Value"}, {"Cat1", "detail1", 23},

{"Cat1", "detail2", 27}, {"Cat1", "detail3", 13}, {"Cat2", "detail4",15},
{"Cat2", "detail5", 35}, {"Cat3", "Detail6", 56}};

list // TableForm

(* tabular data result *)

First level of data.


Thread[list[[2 ;;, 2]] -> #] & /@ {list[[2 ;;, 3]]} // ToAssociations


{<|detail1->23,detail2->27,detail3->13,detail4->15,detail5->35,Detail6->56|>}

Required result


{<| Cat1-> <|detail1->23,detail2->27,detail3->13|>|>,
<| Cat2-> <|detail4->15,detail5->35|>|>,
<| Cat3-> <|Detail6->56|>|>}

Update is it possible to come up with something that works for N levels of nesting?


Eg 3 levels of nesting


list = {{"BigCat", "Category", "Detail", "Value"}, {"BigCat", "Cat1", 

"detail1", 23}, {"BigCat", "Cat1", "detail2", 27}, {"BigCat",
"Cat1", "detail3", 13}, {"BigCat", "Cat2", "detail4",
15}, {"BigCat", "Cat2", "detail5", 35}, {"LittleCat", "Cat3",
"Detail6", 56}}

Answer



From my answer to Handy / flexible directory tree operations with minor modification:


fn[x_List] := GroupBy[x, First -> Rest, fn]

fn[{{x_}}] := x


Tested on your two lists, named list1 and list2 respectively:


fn[Rest @ list1]


<|"Cat1" -> <|"detail1" -> 23, "detail2" -> 27, "detail3" -> 13|>, 
"Cat2" -> <|"detail4" -> 15, "detail5" -> 35|>, "Cat3" -> <|"Detail6" -> 56|>|>

fn[Rest @ list2]



<|"BigCat" -> <|"Cat1" -> <|"detail1" -> 23, "detail2" -> 27, "detail3" -> 13|>, 
"Cat2" -> <|"detail4" -> 15, "detail5" -> 35|>|>,
"LittleCat" -> <|"Cat3" -> <|"Detail6" -> 56|>|>|>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...