Skip to main content

calculus and analysis - Analytic result for integral?


I would like to do the integral


$$I=\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\frac{\ln(e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}-\frac{5}{2})}{e^{i\phi}+e^{-i\phi}-\frac{5}{2}}.$$


Numerically, we readily find that it has a specific finite value:


fun = -(5/2) + E^(-I \[Phi]) + E^(I \[Phi]);
NIntegrate[ Log[fun]/fun, {\[Phi], 0, 2 \[Pi]}]


-0.493368 - 13.1595 I




Now, if we want to consider the integral analytically, we could substitute for instance


$$e^{i\phi}=z~~~,~~~d\phi=\frac{-i}{z}dz$$


which leads to


$$I=-i\oint_{|z|=1}\frac{\ln\left[\frac{1}{z}(z - \frac{1}{2}) (z - 2)\right]}{(z - \frac{1}{2}) (z - 2)}$$


This looks like there is a pole at z=1/2 within the unit circle. So I tried to get the residue:


Residue[-(( I Log[((-2 + z) (-(1/2) + z))/z])/((-2 + z) (-(1/2) + z))), {z, 1/2}]


Residue[-(( I Log[((-2 + z) (-(1/2) + z))/z])/((-2 + z) (-(1/2) + z))), {z, 1/2}]




which just gave back the input. Also, the 1/z term inside the logarithm seems to blow up inside the unit circle as well. This integral is confusing and does not seem to be accessible via straightforward analytical methods. Is there a way to evaluate it exactly using Mathematica?



Answer



Noting that $e^{\text{i}\phi} + e^{-\text{i}\phi} = 2\cos\phi$, simply write:


f[t_] := Log[t Cos[fi] - 5/2]/(2 Cos[fi] - 5/2)

g[t_] := Integrate[f[t], {fi, 0, 2 Pi}]

h[t_] := Integrate[Integrate[f'[t], {fi, 0, 2 Pi}], t]

Clear[c]; {{c}} = {c} /. Solve[g[0] == (h[t] /. t -> 0) + c, c];


Limit[h[t] + c, t -> 2, Direction -> 1] // Expand

I get:


$-\frac{2}{3}\pi\log\left(\frac{81}{64}\right) - \frac{4}{3}\pi^2\,\text{i} \approx -0.493368 - 13.1595\,\text{i}$


without knowing anything about Complex Analysis.




Theorems on the derivation under the integral sign


Let $\Gamma \subseteq \mathbb{C}$ a smooth curve arc and $f : \Gamma \to \mathbb{C}$ is a continuous function. Called $F : \mathbb{C}\backslash \Gamma \to \mathbb{C}$ the function defined by placing $F(\zeta) := \int_{\Gamma} \frac{f(z)}{z-\zeta}\text{d}z $, it is holomorphic in $\mathbb{C}\backslash \Gamma$. In addition, $F$ possesses in $\mathbb{C}\backslash \Gamma$ derivatives of still higher order (which are therefore all holomorphic functions in $\mathbb{C}\backslash \Gamma$) and, for each $n \in \mathbb{N}$, you have $F^{(n)}(\zeta) = n!\int_{\Gamma} \frac{f(z)}{(z-\zeta)^{n+1}}\text{d}z$, i.e. the derivatives of $F$ can be calculated by deriving under the integral sign.


Wanting to simplify things, let $\Omega \subset \mathbb{R}^n$ an open limited, $I \subset \mathbb{R}$ an open interval and $f : I \times \bar{\Omega} \to \mathbb{R}$ a continuous function. If $\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}(t,x)$ continues exists for each $(t,x) \in I \times \bar{\Omega}$, then you have $\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}t}\int_{\Omega} f(t,x)\text{d}x = \int_{\Omega} \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}(t,x)\text{d}x$.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...

equation solving - Invert and fit implicitly defined curve

I need to fit an implicitly defined curve. I thought I could get some data out of Solve , and then using FindFit . Therefore, I would like to find the relation the parametric curve defined by $F(x,y)=0$: Solve[-(1/2) + 1/2 (0.41202 BesselK[0, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]] + (0.101483 x BesselK[1, 0.1 Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]])/Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]) == 0, y] But I can't get an output: Solve was unable to solve the system with inexact coefficients or the system obtained by direct rationalization of inexact numbers present in the system. Since many of the methods used by Solve require exact input, providing Solve with an exact version of the system may help. >> Edit: In particular, I would like to fit the data coming from the curve with the expression of another curve, and not with a function $f(x)$. In particular, since this clearly looks like a cardioid , I would like it to fit to something like it. What other strategies could I try?