Skip to main content

numerical integration - NDSolve diffusion equation over/underdetermined


I have a feeling the solution to my problem is very simple… but my knowledge of differential equations is pretty weak.


I am trying to solve a scalar diffusion equation (used in NMR spectroscopy, but from what I understand, modeled after heat and Fickian diffusion). I've tried following model equations, but whenever I ask Mathematica to evaluate, it returns the original equation. What am I missing here?


Here is my code:


With[{Dif = 2300, pde = D[u[t, r], t] == Dif/r*D[u[t, r]*r, r, r] - 

1/(0.0945 E^(0.000212+0.4077r))*(u[t, r]+1.2004)},
soln = NDSolve[{pde, u[0, r] == 0, Derivative[0, 1][u][t, 0] == 0,
Limit[u[t, r], r -> \[Infinity]] == 0}, u, {t, 0, 10}, {r, 0, 500}]]

Upon evaluation, it returns an error stating that the equation is "overdetermined". Removing a single one of the 3 boundary conditions results in an "underdetermined" error.


Is this possible to solve using NDSolve, or do I need to break down the equation?


Thanks for the help!



Answer



As Andrew stated above, changing the lower limit to something non-zero takes care of the problem.


The following code gives a speedy answer:



With[{Dif = 2300}, pde = D[u[t, r], t] == Dif/r*D[u[t, r]*r, r, r] - 
1/(0.0945 E^(0.000212 + 0.4077 r))*(u[t, r] + 1.2004);
soln = NDSolve[{pde, u[0, r] == 0, Derivative[0, 1][u][t, 10^-8] == 0,
u[t, 500] == 0}, u, {t, 0, 10}, {r, 10^-8, 500}]]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

plotting - How to draw lines between specified dots on ListPlot?

I would like to create a plot where I have unconnected dots and some connected. So far, I have figured out how to draw the dots. My code is the following: ListPlot[{{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4,13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full] I have thought using ListLinePlot command, but I don't know how to specify to the command to draw only selected lines between the dots. Do have any suggestions/hints on how to do that? Thank you. Answer One possibility would be to use Epilog with Line : ListPlot[ {{1, 1}, {2, 2}, {3, 3}, {4, 4}, {1, 4}, {2, 5}, {3, 6}, {4, 7}, {1, 7}, {2, 8}, {3, 9}, {4, 10}, {1, 10}, {2, 11}, {3, 12}, {4, 13}, {2.5, 7}}, Ticks -> {{1, 2, 3, 4}, None}, AxesStyle -> Thin, TicksStyle -> Directive[Black, Bold, 12], Mesh -> Full, Epilog -> { Line[ ...

dynamic - How can I make a clickable ArrayPlot that returns input?

I would like to create a dynamic ArrayPlot so that the rectangles, when clicked, provide the input. Can I use ArrayPlot for this? Or is there something else I should have to use? Answer ArrayPlot is much more than just a simple array like Grid : it represents a ranged 2D dataset, and its visualization can be finetuned by options like DataReversed and DataRange . These features make it quite complicated to reproduce the same layout and order with Grid . Here I offer AnnotatedArrayPlot which comes in handy when your dataset is more than just a flat 2D array. The dynamic interface allows highlighting individual cells and possibly interacting with them. AnnotatedArrayPlot works the same way as ArrayPlot and accepts the same options plus Enabled , HighlightCoordinates , HighlightStyle and HighlightElementFunction . data = {{Missing["HasSomeMoreData"], GrayLevel[ 1], {RGBColor[0, 1, 1], RGBColor[0, 0, 1], GrayLevel[1]}, RGBColor[0, 1, 0]}, {GrayLevel[0], GrayLevel...

list manipulation - Selecting multiple columns from a matrix?

Sample data: data = { {{2013, 1, 1}, 24.13, 167.67, 231.82}, {{2013, 1, 2}, 32.15, 170.92, 225.99}, {{2013, 1, 3}, 35.43, 172.68, 221.67}, {{2013, 1, 4}, 36.73, 173.05, 218.32}, {{2013, 1, 5}, 58.19, 165.96, 197.05}, {{2013, 1, 6}, 69.99, 163.50, 187.52}, {{2013, 1, 7}, 71.37, 154.21, 175.58}, {{2013, 1, 8}, 72.51, 149.66, 163.25}}; I want a DateListPlot with three graphs, so for a matrix formed by columns 1 and 2, one for columns 1 and 3, and 1 for columns 1 and 4. At the moment I'm using this code: data2 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 2]]}]; data3 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 3]]}]; data4 = Transpose[{data[[All, 1]], data[[All, 4]]}]; DateListPlot[{data2, data3, data4}, Joined -> True, Filling -> {3 -> {1}}] but I have a hunch that this can be done more efficiently. I don't like the Transpose s in particular. Any ideas? edit (for extra credit) What if I need to multiply the second column by 2, which in my solution is simp...